RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki Z1000
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All!

I recently bought a completely rebuilt Gen 1 2004 Z1000. The previous owner told me to just use conventional 10W-40.

Personally, I would much rather switch to full synthetic oil.

Is it safe to do this? Are there any known problems that could be caused by changing the oil type?

Any information is appreciated!

Kirk B

·
El Controlador
1,078 Posts
It is safe to do so. Drain it, change it. No worries. The trace amounts of conventional arent a problem.

You just wouldnt want to pour a quart of synthetic into an otherwise conventional.

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki Z1000
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is safe to do so. Drain it, change it. No worries. The trace amounts of conventional arent a problem.

You just wouldnt want to pour a quart of synthetic into an otherwise conventional.
Awesome man. Thanks. Next oil change will be full synthetic. Will I have to use a different oil filter? Any favourite oil brands?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Brands are your own choice. Just make sure the oil meets the specs for your motorcycle. For example my ZR7S requires a JASO-MA rating due to the wet clutch. Regular car oil, or energy conserving oil etc would be harmful to my wet clutch, regardless if it was synthetic or not. So, check your manual and use the oil rating that's stated.
As for filters they will work for either oil just as well.

·
El Controlador
1,078 Posts
Awesome man. Thanks. Next oil change will be full synthetic. Will I have to use a different oil filter? Any favourite oil brands?
Ive been running Shell Rotella T6 5w40 in my 2005 Z1000 for the last 15 years (and every other motorcycle I own). Its very reasonably priced and has excellent performance. Buy it by the gallon for about $25 USD. If you read up about it, it has a nearly cult following in the motorcycle world because of it ability to deal with the sheer of the wet clutch.

As for filters, I personally recommend the Mobile 1, M1-110 filter. Again, have used this on my Zed with excellent results.

Cheers, KX

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Good Day All!

I recently bought a completely rebuilt Gen 1 2004 Z1000. The previous owner told me to just use conventional 10W-40.

Personally, I would much rather switch to full synthetic oil.

Is it safe to do this? Are there any known problems that could be caused by changing the oil type?

Any information is appreciated!

Kirk B
Should be no problem, however I would also recommend changing the oil filter as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts