RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Z is not quite to the mileage of an oil change but I was wondering if it is preferred to change the oil before putting her away for the winter(in cold shed) or if I should wait until next spring and just get an oil change right away? Or if it even matters? I doubt it really matters with all the technology that oil companies use now a days but figured I'd get some opinions. Thanks all.

-H

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have always been under the impression that it's best to change the oil prior to storage. Something about the chemicals created through the combustion process, eating at the engine internals. Whether thats true or not, I don't know.

I have also read that its good to change the oil in the spring, because of water in the oil due to condensation from sitting over winter.

I'm unsure on both, so I'm probably not helping much , but am looking forward to hearing comments on this as well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Im not sure about what you should do but im going to leave the old in for the winter and change it in the spring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have always left it until spring. I'm not too worried about either personally but I have to change it sometime so it might as well be before/after storage. I figure if either is actually bad then I want fresh oil when the motor is actually working vs storage. I know people who use cheap oil for storage but I haven't been convinced it is worth the time/money

·
Registered
969 Posts
Cycle World(?) was the magazine I believe that did a write up on this question . . . they mentioned it is best to change the oil before storage, fill the gas tank up full and leave the battery on a trickle charger. They also mentioned not starting up your bike randomly for a minute then cutting it off. If you do start your engine, warm it up to normal riding temps while taking it for a quick spin to lube everything up properly and then let it cool back down.

This is just information I have read out of a magazine, Cycle World I believe, could have been Sport Rider. Either way it makes sense to me other than the gas part. I would assume the gas would go bad, but they noted it would be harder for the gas to break down with that much in there. If it were me I would probably run my gas all the way down into the fuel light then add some when I want to take her back out next year. Anyone else please enlighten us...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Filling up the tank entirely reduces the amount of air in the tank. Without any room for air or condensation, there is a better chance at the fuel staying in good condition. I have done this and it always works for me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You want to avoid rust in your tank too. Fill it up, put in some Stabil, let it run a few minutes so that the fuel system has the treated fuel in it.

Split the difference on oil if you can - my shop is huge and heated, so mid-winter, I'll go change it so that the old is out and the new is ready for action in the next few weeks. I personally think (even if it is legit) it is silly to change the oil, store it, and change it again before riding.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree, I never changed it prior to and after winter. I've just read both opinions. I may actually store the bike in my kitchen this winter. Garage isn't heated, and since I don't have a wife or kids, the kitchen seems just as good of place as any.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys who have to store your bikes for the winter... we only get 6-8 weeks of really cold weather and there are always a few "warm" days mixed in where riding in the daytime is not bad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hah I remember driving to NC a few years ago in March. Every day was like driving a week into the future

I always fill the tank and add stabilizer and trickle charge the battery, same for the Ski Doo. Time to swap toys

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking Black Sheep, I wouldn't trade it for anything...:alcy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts