RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to start by saying, Love this forum you guys post so much useful information!!:notworthy

I bought a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650r earlier this month:
Used
3500 Miles
Never Downed
1 Rider Owned - The guy really liked to keep things by the book, the bike is in amazing condition.

I had been riding my bike for the better part of the month when I decided to go out riding with my wife on back and a buddy of mine, now realistically I am about 220 pounds and my wife is around 100 -> 110 (Not sure if knowing the weight matters)

While riding with her only I noticed a pretty profound noise coming from what seemed like the chain, my buddy had said "He heard the chain screaming while riding next to me" and that he thought it was just the tension needing to be adjusted.

When I had last examined the chain slack it seemed to be pretty appropriately set, didn't seem to be incredibly tight or incredibly loose and had compared to my buddies chain as well. (2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r)

One thing I noticed was that when riding the noise became most apparent after about 2k on the rpm's and if I put the bike in neutral (riding down hill) the noise was either not noticeable or very very low, it was not until I went back into gear and actually began giving a little more throttle that it seemed the noise came back, actually whenever I was giving throttle

Since I was riding with my wife I was not gunning it or being reckless or fully open with the throttle more so lightly engaged until speeds were reached accordingly. :)

Do you think it could be the chain? How do I check tightness for two people? Should the shocks be set a certain way for two riders instead of one? (would that have to be switched every time with a passenger?)
Have not had time to work on the bike was gonna take some things apart and properly check the front sprocket and chain to ensure nothing in that upper area may be present. (debris, etc)

Also lube my chain with chain lube about every 200 miles.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Given your weight, I'd be tempted to set the shock pre-load at it's highest setting and leave it there.
That would reduce the sag a bit with 2-up but doubtful that it would affect the noise.

I guess the first thing I would do is have someone else check the chain slack with 2 aboard.

It is REALLY hard to help with noises without actually being there.

I find it interesting that you mentioned "above 2K RPMs" because many riders seldom get BELOW that except at a dead stop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the reason I mentioned it is because typically when I hear a noise or sound that I get iffy with I tend to try different things to see if it affects or contributes to the noise stopping, I feel in some circumstances it can most definitely assist in locating the culprit haha :)

Thanks for the info on the Shock Pre-Load is that something that can be found/discussed in the manual? I just want to ensure I am changing things properly without disrupting the other aspects of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
edited... i was beat to the reply :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.