RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally have only used Chain Wax made by a company called Maxima. Any other / better products, or should I stick to Chain Wax. I have no complaints, but if something is better for my baby then she'll just have to have it! lol.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree on Maxima Chain Wax. Motorcycle Consumer News gave it a pretty good rating, too.

Chain Wax works great if you follow the directions. Put it on while the chain is hot. Wait a minimum of a 1/2 hour to dry before you ride. I have very little if any fling when I do this...

Good stuff!!!

Philip

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I have a jacket that the back is covered in chain lube stains. That all stopped when I started using the Chain Wax. As far as wet weather stuff, I think the wax is a little better, but the chain still should be cleaned and re-lubed after a rain. Here in So. Cal it's not too bad because we hardly ever have rain for more than one or two days at a time and hardly ever more than twice a month, so it's not like it's some reduntant chore. But it would take someone that rides in a wetter climate than me to give a better answer.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
yeah martin, i know that rain is not an issue for us here in san diego. i just know that chain wax for bicycles is your best friend in the dust and your worst enemy in the rain. once it's wet it porvides about zero protection against wear. i was just wondering if it's the same with motorcycle wax.

scott :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
From my experience, chain wax is a recipe for a new chain.It is not a lube.From many years and miles of long distant riding i have experimented with all sorts of chainlubes and and maximum wax.True your wheel stays clean,but after several thousand miles your chain will start turning red(rust)and soon will start stretching and kinking.This expensive lesson was learned many miles from home.I currently use Honda hp in the red can.On long distance endurance runs i use PJ black...very messy,but simply the best chainlube available.On my old 750's using PJ black i would average 22-25,000 miles of chain wear. mike

·
Registered
706 Posts
PJ..?

Best Regards Team:

MIKE: Pardon my ignorance what's PJ black...? I just noticed that you are in Houston...! Did you were the 17th of this month around Fulshear..? I saw another ZR-7 in the gas stationwhen I was leaving...I think the rider was wearing a white helmet.

Ride Safe..1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Itztli,just about every motorcycle dealership carries PJ-1,which is in a blue can and PJ-Black,that is,well in a black can.GREAT STUFF.ON A IronButt endurance run i could go 750 miles and the chains O rings were just starting to get dry.Messy,but chains and sprockets are very expensive.You may very well have seen me in that area,except i ride a 2001 silver Bandit 1200.I just bought a white Shoei x-sp helmet and many times i wear a yellow Shoei 800.I have a real love for all 750 Quackers..Though,not as fast as my bandit,they are one of the toughest engines on the planet.I may just buy myself a left over 2001 ZR-7S.If you want to meet up one of these weekends get back with me.mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used the Chain Wax for a long time, but I read the same Motorcyle Consumer News referenced above. MCN picked the Honda and Yamaha chain lubs as a "Recommended" ratings higher than the chain wax. Because they lasted longer if I remember correctly. I started using the Honda and it seems to work fine, and it cost a little less if I remember. I got two street bikes and 4 dirt bikes to take care of, all have chains, so I use a lot of chain lub. However, I still keep a can of the chain wax around because I like to us it on other things beside chains, in places that have problems with rust. I can't see how anybody can go wrong using chain wax, as long as the chain is well maintainted. We have the good luck of owning the ZR-7 which has a center stand so lubing the chain is a snap.:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't ride in the rain (not if I can avoid it anyway) and about once a week I oil the change with this tiny little squeeze bottle of teflon stuff that I bought for my pushbike. When the chain starts to lose that glistening oily look, then I put a bit more on. Seems to have minimal fly-off problems.

No idea if it's the best thing for it or not, but at least I'm doing something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts