RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I lube my chain, cleaned off excessive lube from the chain as best as I could, and let the bike sit over night. Obviously I didn't clean the excess as good as I thought I did because I rode it to work this morning and bejeezzusss damn...there were fly off everywhere. The oil lube went on tacky and very foamy last night.

What can I used to clean off the excess fly-off from under the fender, the swing arms...etc? I doubt wiping it down with a clean rag is going to remove all the darn grease. I'm going to try dish soap and warm water...but damn the fly-off are unsightly!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use meguiar's car wash on my bike and it works pretty well. Don't know what you're using for chain lube, but get some dupont teflon chain lube....it doesn't fling off at all.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Switch to Dupont Teflon spray and you won't have to worry about it.

Also, clean and lube your chain at the end of a ride and then let the bike sit overnight before riding again. Reduces the amount of fling off.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Switch to Dupont Teflon spray and you won't have to worry about it.

Also, clean and lube your chain at the end of a ride and then let the bike sit overnight before riding again. Reduces the amount of fling off.
+1 on dupont the stuff is amazing

and added tip for the OP: after you spray the lube on immediately and lightly wipe the excess lube with a rag... lightly is in bold because we're not trying to remove all the lube you just put on... Just the excess lube

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Clean the fling off with paint thinner. It will not damage the paint. You could even use gasoline, but it's pretty nasty stuff.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
ok, you dupont fans, i've been using it too, but it flings off, even if i let it sit overnight, although i'm not losing sleep over it.

i clean the chain and the rear wheel with kerosene (MOM recommends it for the chain).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, you dupont fans, i've been using it too, but it flings off, even if i let it sit overnight, although i'm not losing sleep over it.

i clean the chain and the rear wheel with kerosene (MOM recommends it for the chain).
Speaking of cleaning the chain, do you use a brush or do you remove the chain from the bike? How complicated is it to remove the chain from the bike (with little to no mechanic background)?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Make sure that you are not using DuPont White Lithium Teflon GREASE! The spray cans look almost identical, but the results are very different, and I speak from personal experience. The GREASE sort of dries in a white coating, and it will fling off. The lube is very thin and smells a bit like coconut oil. It dries to an almost invisible waxy coating. I use it on all my bikes with chains, and it doesn't fling off, even at 150+mph on the track.

I'm a bit of a freak about lube on my wheels and tires, and after giving almost every chain lube a try, I only use DuPont Teflon Mulit-Use Lubricant.

·
Registered
806 Posts
spray a little WD-40 on a rag and the lube fling will come right off...I don't know what it does to paint so I give the painted parts a quick wash afterwards.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Speaking of cleaning the chain, do you use a brush or do you remove the chain from the bike? How complicated is it to remove the chain from the bike (with little to no mechanic background)?
Tirox chain brush to clean your chain. They sell it at Cycle Gear if you have a store near you. Absolute wonder to clean your chain.
Lighter fluid works too on fly off. I have one paper towel with a bit of fluid and another with just water. Wipe with the fluid and wipe with the water.

·
Registered
540 Posts
what bullet said and if you don't get the brush immediately - put it up on a rear stand or have a buddy help you. ENGINE OFF!

grab a rag and place it behind the chain so that you are shielding the tire. Dont' want that gunk on rubber. spray your chain lube across the few inches that the rag covers. Wipe. Overspray lands on the rag. Turn wheel or have your buddy pick up the rear real quick and turn the wheel (if your skilled enough you can balance it for a quick second on the kickstand too and turn the wheel.. I'm not. lol ) . Repeat for the next few inches till you get all the way around.

Might want to switch rags mid-way depending on how dirty your chain was.

if you have it on that rear stand, when your done I would take a clean rag and lightly let it brush on both sides of the chain as your spinning the tire - as the other guy suggested, get the excess off.

The best thing that could be said - don't just spray the front of the chain. get the front, get the middle links and at least make sure the heavy overspray part of the rag gets the backside of the chain.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I wouldn't advise using some of the harsh chemicals mentioned on body parts. Stick to Simple Green for plastics and wheel rims. I cleans up the chain guard and my rims and all those other places the lube gets on.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
oops, forgot to respond yesterday.

laff for the day: a few weeks ago while prowling around a dollar store i found a little brush that appeared to be useful for chain cleaning. ha, ha, ha - all the bristles fell out before i was finished.

to answer your question - typically, no. i have not ever removed the chain, not feeling competent to attempt it.

regular cleaning with kerosene every 400 miles or so along with a lube seems to keep the ol' 650 on its feet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For me, a wipe from rags soaked with wd40 on the chain before spraying lube, and also on the wheels for the fling-offs.

Anyhow if i get fling-offs on the body, i'd use very lightly sprayed wd40 on clean rags, some light buffing and scuffing and a wash afterwards. Works pretty well for light tars too. Anything heavier, tar remover it is.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
For me, a wipe from rags soaked with wd40 on the chain before spraying lube, and also on the wheels for the fling-offs.

Anyhow if i get fling-offs on the body, i'd use very lightly sprayed wd40 on clean rags, some light buffing and scuffing and a wash afterwards. Works pretty well for light tars too. Anything heavier, tar remover it is.
my bike doesn't accumulate much gunk as i stick to the pavement and don't ride in the rain. i've yet to spray it down with a hose. when i clean the chain, i also give the rims a shot of kerosene. werx fer me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tirox chain brush to clean your chain. They sell it at Cycle Gear if you have a store near you. Absolute wonder to clean your chain.
Lighter fluid works too on fly off. I have one paper towel with a bit of fluid and another with just water. Wipe with the fluid and wipe with the water.
Old toothbrush works pretty much like that chain brush and there's a constant supply of them if you have a decent sized family.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bel Ray super clean chain lube

My local shop owner asked me if I was tired of the fling from my chain as I was about to buy another can of Chain Wax. It has never bothered me, my goal is a solid reliable bike.

So I bought the Tirox cleaner and brush, scrubbed it clean, and applied the Bel Ray. WOW.

It looks like the chain is white and it stays on. I lube mine every 200 KM.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lot's of good comments. Thanks a ton everyone, it was very much appreciated!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts