RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so its time to adjust my chain. I have a rear stand and have read about and seen a video on how to adjust the tension. My question is about the axel nuts. I have a torque wrench and was able to find the correct ft/lbs to tighten them to. It seems the left (chain side) and right nuts are different sizes. The largest socket I have is 22mm which happens to fit the right side. What size is the left? I borrowed a 26mm which still doesnt fit. It seems like it might be just one size larger. Anyone know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
it may be difficult to use the wrenches in the toolkit. that's why I bought a impact wrench socket set. you can pair that 27mm with a breaker bar to turn the left nut, then on the right nut use the toolkit 22mm wrench to hold it steady.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
27mm and you will need a breaker bar to get that sucker loose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up the socket over lunch... Wish I had seen the post about the breaker bar ealier.... Yet another reason to add to the list to pick up an impact wrench....

·
Registered
705 Posts
You won't need an impact wrench although they do come in handy, it is easy enough to loosen with aa breaker bar. :agree:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I figured. I just dont have one and would worry about damaging my socket wrench if I just tried to put a cheater bar on it.... Picking up an actual breaker bar would be another $25... I guess all together thats not all that bad.

$50 for the rear stand (Harbor Freight)
$40 for the torque wrench
$12 for the socket
$25 for the breaker bar (if I cant find somones to borrow)

·
Registered
371 Posts
whaaat, dont pay money for the bars. SUrely you must having something that you cvould use as one? we got an old fork stanchion for one :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
the breaker bar is only needed to loosen the nut because you use the torque wrench to tighten it. I was able to loosen the 80 ft/lb rear swingarm nut with a 16" breaker.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
hm. i loosened the left axle nut easily with my big ol' socket wrench and 27mm socket (it was not at all loose to begin with). tightened it up most properly with a new craftsman torque wrench.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was able to do this with the toolkit that comes with the bike. I put the bike on a stand and had a friend stand over it/sit on it to stabilize it and then I put the tool on the nut and stood on it a few times to loosen it. I know everyones bike is different, and I weigh 220 pounds, so that sure helped. I helped a friend with this before once, and we put a bar that he used for his floor jack on the end of the tool that came with his bike to loosen and tighten his.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts