RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
So, if Ivan develops a flash for the '14, you could do a full exhaust ($1000 to $1200) and the ECU flash (I'm guessing around $300) and have a completely different animal on your hands. Like trading in your house cat for a cheetah. :D
The reflash does not change the fueling. He may need a PowerCommander as well. Also, you sound low on the FULL Akro system. I would have put the parts at around $2500 minimum and installation on top of that if he does not do the work himself. EDIT, I just pulled my receipt. When I bought the "full" monte package from him two years ago it was $2100. That included the dual Akro system and the air filter, block off plates, PowerCommander and fuel cut eliminator FCE. There are some gives and takes now as the ECU tune costs money, but eliminates the need for the FCE. So maybe my guess above is a little high.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
I had that exact thought as soon as I read they put a milder cam in the '14. It'll be very interesting to see what happens when somebody uncorks one.

I think I'd be ok with a few less peak HP if the bottom and mid are stronger. :)
This is an interesting post. With the bike wheeling so easy with the low end power at full throttle, I am a bit surprised you would say this.

My personal thinking was if I had more top end and a bit less low end I could go faster. Interesting to see how people see things differently.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
The reflash does not change the fueling. He may need a PowerCommander as well. Also, you sound low on the FULL Akro system. I would have put the parts at around $2500 minimum and installation on top of that if he does not do the work himself. EDIT, I just pulled my receipt. When I bought the "full" monte package from him two years ago it was $2100. That included the dual Akro system and the air filter, block off plates, PowerCommander and fuel cut eliminator FCE. There are some gives and takes now as the ECU tune costs money, but eliminates the need for the FCE. So maybe my guess above is a little high.
I was a little higher than you, but I added a quick shifter to the package.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
The cam , though, never needed to happen. The extra low end was there all along and had been tuned out by the ecu. His ecu mods give about 10 extra hp from 3000-6000, and go up even more at that point. There must have been epa, or noise issues, to not electronically give back the power??:?:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I called Ivan about three weeks ago. For his NEWEST 'mod' with the new flash that eliminates the need for the FCE, w/ the 4-2-1 akra he quoted me around $xxxx shipped.

Reactions: Mancolt

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks, so that includes the Full Akra, PCV, Block Off plate, Air Filter, and reflashing of the ECU?

And you didn't mention it, but I'm guessing you have a pre-2014 Ninja?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks, so that includes the Full Akra, PCV, Block Off plate, Air Filter, and reflashing of the ECU?

And you didn't mention it, but I'm guessing you have a pre-2014 Ninja?
Yeah sorry. 2012 n1k with all you mentioned.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
This is an interesting post. With the bike wheeling so easy with the low end power at full throttle, I am a bit surprised you would say this.

My personal thinking was if I had more top end and a bit less low end I could go faster. Interesting to see how people see things differently.
I like being able to wheelie out of corners dirt bike style without having to ride it like a 600. I love the way mine is now with the mods and my thought is Kawi was trying to get closer to that stock while still keeping all the EPA mandated crap on the bike.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't see any reason why someone can't tell others what they paid for a product.
Because when anyone speaks to Ivan, he explicitly asks that you not post his prices online. He has done something amazing for our bikes, and out of professional courtesy, we abide by his request. Why don't you pick up the phone and call him like everyone else does?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Because when anyone speaks to Ivan, he explicitly asks that you not post his prices online. He has done something amazing for our bikes, and out of professional courtesy, we abide by his request. Why don't you pick up the phone and call him like everyone else does?
I actually have spoken with him, on multiple occasions. It's just a philosophical matter to me. If I purchase something, unless contractually bound otherwise, I'm free to tell others about the product.

Reactions: Mancolt

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
My FCE has just been sent back and I am going "full Monty" in the words of Cool Daddy Groove.

ECU reflash... and I'm yanking the 16'r off... going back to my 15th tooth in the front.
I figured since I can run 89 octane with the ECU reflash... I might as well keep the same dent in my gas card/wallet!
screw gas mileage... hopefully I can control the frontend.
hahah! (plus no plans for any multiday touring this year, just over night track trips and as many as possible)

Cooldaddy lets plan one!

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
As far as warranty, I bet they would nto be happy, but it woudl be tough to catch, or blame the ecu remap. Lets say an ecu went bad, how could they check it? As far a sother components go, it woudl be a stretch to say an ecu remap caused a brake caliper to leak, or such...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Does the Ivan's mods void the factory or extended warranty?
The answer is yes, it would void it. There are all sorts of complexities that could be argued, but the short answer is still yes.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
If I were protecting a five year warranty, I'd buy a second ecu, send IT in, and move along...

Jim is right..there is a part in the manual that says, ".....damage and malfunctions that are a result of unauthorized modifications are not covered". For sure, dropping another 20 hp into the drivetrain is something Kawasaki never counted on, and there are hundreds of other reasons to void it. I'l bet a power commander, and probably an exhaust could do it also? Especially since both relate to emissions...

If I had a warranty, I'd have the ecu put back to stock if the bike went in for transmission trouble. Maybe thats detectable, and woudl no good either? I dont know....for me, I'm have one kawasaki shop that I'd take a Honda into and claim a Kawasaki warranty..50-50 it goes right through. The other would go , COOL! , lets fix it...I want to try it.

I'd call the service manager for the shop and check to see how black and white the issue is, with them. There would be no reason to go through this effort if the end result did not make for such a dramatically better bike, but in this case, it does.

For me, I looked at the fact that no one ever has issues with this bike that were nto owner caused, and went fo rit.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've now got a reflashed ECU, but not a running bike. Oh well, life just sucks sometimes, eh?

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
sorry..hit wrong button!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 87 Posts