RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who don't want to deal with the cost and hassle of replacing the whole front end, there is a complete stealth mod: replacing the fork innards with fully adjustable cartridges.

I've done it to Suz SV/Katana/bandit, Kaw ZR7 and if someone will send me their forks, I'll have a setup for the 650R. I'm targetting $300-350 which is only a little more expensive than the vastly inferior Racetech GVE solution many are inclined to use. Otherwise you can try the $1000 solution from Traxxion Dynamics.

Whoever is my guinea pig gets it for 1/2 price. Any takers?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Why cant you just send us the parts and we can install ourselves :dunno:

Oh' yea and...

:worthless

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to make the various parts; cartridge holder, fork caps, etc. on my lathe. That is why I need a temporary donor.

Once I have a kit, any Joe will be able to install provided they have the tools and sufficient motivation. So far I've found that nobody wants to bother. They prefer to send me forks and get back a set ready to bolt up and go with the oil levels set, correct springs installed, new seals (if needed) etc.

I'll post pics in a bit.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
How adjustable is "fully" adjustable? Which adjustments will be able to be made?

How soon do you need them? Once I put the bike away for the winter (probably sometime in November depending on the weather) I could send you mine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sending them once you stop riding for the season is perfect. It'll take me a 2-3 weeks (I have a FT job too) to get all of it worked out.

Fully adjustable means only one thing: compression, rebound and spring preload. Like the others I've done, adjusting the compression circuit means you have to temporarily pull the axle. Everything else (wheel, calipers, fender) stays put. Compression circuit is generally set once or twice and then forget about it on street bikes. Rebound is the more critical adjustment and that is trivial to get at.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good find. Unfortunately I tried that on my ZR7 and it was very disappointed. the ZX6E has only 3 options on rebound and they are largely ineffectual since there is so much leakage past the seals. Basically it's a marketing gimmick.

If you want effective and real suspension, cartridges is the only way. If you want to use clipons and want the extra fork length then both ZX6E and ZX6F tubes work fine. But if you source ZX6F you might as well use the cartridges that come with. I can support both GSXR innards and ZX6F innards in the retrofit.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no website yet. There is a racer out in CA with my forks, 3 of them in Chicago area, and I've done it to several of my bikes. I haven't kept track of any of the guys except one.

Racetech GVE get a lot of press/mention but they are sheer crap compared to the real thing. I've done 4 bikes with GVE and there simply is no comparing them. I don't know what other assurances I can give.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fork upgrade

I for one cant wait for this and am very intersted in the outcome
be an excellent complement to the nitron shock I have coming:alcy:

·
Registered
204 Posts
find a salvage yars get a fork set (or one) and use that to R&D ..Once you have it sorted then start having folks send in forks

·
Registered
12 Posts
sending them once you stop riding for the season is perfect. It'll take me a 2-3 weeks (I have a FT job too) to get all of it worked out.
Have you gotten any further with this? I'm considering doing a fork upgrade and am curious to see what's available (looking for full adjustability, not just spring change).

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Have you gotten any further with this? I'm considering doing a fork upgrade and am curious to see what's available (looking for full adjustability, not just spring change).
I know I haven't sent him my forks yet. Not sure if anyone else has contacted him. My bike's sitting in my backyard at the moment waiting for some work on the garage to get done. Once I've got that worked out and the bike's back in the garage so I can get it up on stands I'll be contacting him again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well if no one's sent a fork over to him by the time I switch over my front end, I won't be needing my stock forks anymore and wouldn't have an issue being the guinea pig for everyone's benefit :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts