RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had carpal tunnel for a few years that has seriously impeded the length of my rides over the last few years. I can't afford to take off work to get it fixed right now so I was looking into other ways to deal with it. Last year I was only able to ride for about 30 minutes before my right hand would be totally useless and I would have to stop and try to get some feeling back into it.

I tried switching my grips to Kuryakin ISO grips. That actually made it worse as I felt I was holding onto the grips tighter because they are softer and more cushy (I'm usually a speeding white knuckle rider when I can be). They also felt a lot thicker than the stock grips. I later learned this is a 'No-No" for people with carpal tunnel as it forces the tendons in the wrist and hands to stretch out and and basically make the situation worse.
Of Course I had cut the old grips off and destroyed them, So I was stuck with the ISO's. (I'm not poor, but I don't have "new grips every other weekend" kind of cash). So i put up with the pain and mainly stuck to local trips and cruises.

Over Christmas, My Girlfriend hat gotten me a set of Qui gloves (Qwi Gloves For Hand Pain & Numbness: Home). These looked like they may help my carpal tunnel hindered riding. They work by padding the base of your hand and keeping pressure off the nerves that go up the inside of your forearm and up into the palm of your hand. It's a very viable option to cut down on the vibration that caused my numbness. problem was it was December and winter wouldn't let up for a few months so I wold have to wait a while to test them out. We finally had a few days in a row when it was above fifty outside. I took the Meanie out and took it for a ride with out the gloves. It still made my hand go numb after about 25 minutes and assured me that time doesn't heal all wounds. No big surprise. I gave my hand a few hours rest so i could try it again with the gloves. It did help to dampen the vibration of the handlebars a good bit. But it only extended my ride by maybe 15 minutes at most. had i been wearing these when I had my original grips on, maybe I wouldn't have bought the ISO's. I had a chance to ride a friend's Sportster just to see if it may just be in my head and I found out a few things:
1. I'm too fat for a Sportster I looked like on of the worlds fattest twins on a scooter from the Guinness book of world records.,
2. The Qui gloves did help out a lot, just not enough for the Meanie's vibrations.

At this point I was itching to try anything to get back on the road for a while. I ordered a set of Avon Air cushioned grips with the throttle boss. (Avon Air Cushioned Grips - Chrome, Color: Chrome AIR-90-BOSS) as they looked less squishy than the ISO's and they even looked a bit thinner than them as well. I was looking forward to putting them on as I searched the net looking for more ways to extend my ride.

I read about people using the Barsnake and putting lead shot into the handlebars to weigh them down. They are both the same idea being that extra weight in the handlebar cuts down the vibrations. I was afraid of not lubricating the snake enough when pulling it through the handlebar and it would get stuck (insert joke here), or I would not put enough lead shot into the handlebars and it would settle and make my handlebars into a chrome baby rattle after I had glued on new hand grips that I hadn't tested yet.

Then I found it. The Vibranator (https://www.vibranator.com/) ! I saw this mentioned on a couple adventure rider sites and decided to give it a try. It had some actual science behind it rather than "It just makes the bar heavier". It is actually another weight that is surrounded by a rubber grommet to hold it in the center of the end of your handlebars. The weight actually vibrates as well, but its vibration helps to counteract the vibration felt through the handlebars. They're actually called Tuned mass dampers. We have some on the equipment we have at work so I knew a little bit about how they work.. I ordered these along with 20% coupon code "ADVrider", and it was shipped to my house for around $100.
Installation was a breeze besides having to cut that bolt screw off the end of the left grip and taking the grips off. I was going to install the new Avons on at the same time so I figured this has to work or else I'm out of options.
The Vibranator worked exactly as stated and cut down the vibrations drastically! I had the engine running for a few minutes in the driveway and I really couldn't feel any difference. I was feeling ripped off and pissed. The Avon's did feel a lot better on my hand which I knew was gonna help out a lot. The true difference the Vibranator's made was definitely felt out on the road. The dampening is felt around 2500 rpms and above (I'm just guesstimating as it changes from gear to gear) .
I was able to turn a 10 mile/20 minute ride into roughly 2.5 hours. It was only that short because I was running low on gas!
This was mostly highway riding and I did use the throttle boss on occasion. I was wearing the qui gloves so they may have helped as well. I did ride yesterday without the gloves and had the same results. Although it was only a 30 minute ride so I can't really make the distinction between if it helps out or not. I am going to wear them on long rides because I don't want to take the chance and they did help out before.

I know this was very long and a bit boring, but I just wanted to give people some info if they suffered from carpal Tunnel. I was getting to the point where I was running out of options and was thinking I might have to give up riding.But thankfully there are a lot of great products out there that can help out. I certainly ran the gauntlet of them and found a combination of things that worked for me.
Thanks for reading this, I'll see ya out on the road!

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Just glad ya found a way to keep on riding. It's interesting to hear reviews about different products and the difference they make. Never quite know what is gonna make a difference till ya try. I will be turning 66 next week and I certainly do things differently nowadays to keep on riding.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Just glad ya found a way to keep on riding. It's interesting to hear reviews about different products and the difference they make. Never quite know what is gonna make a difference till ya try. I will be turning 66 next week and I certainly do things differently nowadays to keep on riding.
yea getting old sucks. I have a bad case of tennis elbow on the right elbow, hurts like hell most of the time, and yes riding long distances is a challenge to say the least.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Doug!

You can get this pretty cheap at wally mart. You also need a cramp buster from Amazon. I promise that is will help!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Great info, Doug. Carpal tunnel syndrome is something a lot of riders suffer with.

I was once able to help a guy that was having riding endurance issues due to his CTS. It only cost maybe $4 to make and he thanked me every time I saw him afterwards. I had stated up and ran the Neurodiagnostic Lab at a local hospital and he was one of my patients. He has tried several products without relief. With him being my patient, I knew, diagnostically, everything about his right wrist and which sustained positions exaggerated it or brought relief. We discussed a plan then I went to his house that weekend.

I had him put on a latex glove and sit on his bike, holding the grip with his most pain-free position. I then used marine putty to fill in the void between his palm and grip, to provide support for HIS wrist, then worked it under enough to index his fingers so, when done, there was only one way for him to comfortably grab the grip- his best way.

When he removed his hand, I lifter the putty off the grip just enough to add some glue, then pressed it back on the grip, working the edges the putty wrapped about 2/3rds around the grip. I put taper on it for overnight curing. The next day I came back, cut the tape, and worked a piece of bicycle tube over the grip, trimming the ends and giving it a custom look.

I never rode with the guy but I saw him 2-3 times over the next few years and he always thanked me and said he was still using it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Great find, I wonder does that sit completely in the bars or does it stick out as a bar end. I have metal grips the ones that are one solid piece with a spike on the end. I wonder if that would fit inside my grips. I dont have CTS but I did break my left wrist in a motorcycle accident a few yrs back and have a few screws holding it together and after about a hr long ride that hand is completely useless. this might be a good option for me also if it fits completely inside the bar.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Great find, I wonder does that sit completely in the bars or does it stick out as a bar end. I have metal grips the ones that are one solid piece with a spike on the end. I wonder if that would fit inside my grips. I dont have CTS but I did break my left wrist in a motorcycle accident a few yrs back and have a few screws holding it together and after about a hr long ride that hand is completely useless. this might be a good option for me also if it fits completely inside the bar.
It does sit inside your grips. In this video it shows them cutting off an inch of the end of the bar, and then installing the Vibranator making the bars the same length again. In other words, cut the inch off, then add the inch back on with the Vibranator end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjegwYSxti0

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fix carpal tunnel (and tennis elbow) without surgery. What I do is called Rolfing or Structural Integration. I have fixed about 100 cases. Check out rolfguild.org to find a colleague of mine in your area. Usually, we aren't super expensive depending where you live. I hope that helps. The modality has been around for a while ,but we are more well-known in the western states. PM me if you have questions.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yep, Carpal Tunnel Sucks, So does getting old. Weighted bars and a throttle boss make it tolerable. :) Back support makes the back pain tolerable, These along with taking a short break about every 30 minutes, I can go all day. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
You wear the brace all day and you sleep in it. The reason I posted a pic is because the brace allows time for the inflammation to heal. I suggested it because this is what worked for me.

Aleve for pain and inflammation and no fudging on wearing the brace and in a couple of weeks or so, you're good to go. I was very close to doing whatever it took to get relief and this was all it took. May not be for you or others but my 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts