RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now all I got left it a tune up oil change and carb sync. I'm shopping around for the vacuum sync tool. Anyone have any in mind maybe. Keep in mind I'm no mechanic...... lol so the more simple the better.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Analog gauges are the simplest but reliable ones are expensive. I use a mercury balance tool. They are the most accurate but it is getting hard to find mercury. Don't bother with the blue water type or the steel rod type.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Analog gauges are the simplest but reliable ones are expensive. I use a mercury balance tool. They are the most accurate but it is getting hard to find mercury. Don't bother with the blue water type or the steel rod type.
So the vacuum type is the way to go then?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
The gauges can also be a dual type vs a quad. You can balance 2 carbs, then use one of those as a control and do the 3rd, and then the 4th.

We can debate about if you really need to sync the carbs at all on these engines (in my opinion) unless you took them completely apart and adjusted the idle set screws on each carb.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So the vacuum type is the way to go then?
Yes, as far as simplicity and ease of care and use. Take Obo's advice below and just get a double gauge.
With the mercury type if you're not careful and a hose comes loose or you rev the engine with them attached, you can suck the mercury into the engine. I like the mercury type because they are dead accurate and never break down. If you take care of them they can last for centuries.

Don't go too cheap with the gauge type tho. They don't last. Maybe someone can suggest a good reasonably priced set.

Keep also in mind that once you balance the carbs and you hang up the gauges, you may not use them again for many years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gauges can also be a dual type vs a quad. You can balance 2 carbs, then use one of those as a control and do the 3rd, and then the 4th.

We can debate about if you really need to sync the carbs at all on these engines (in my opinion) unless you took them completely apart and adjusted the idle set screws on each carb.
No I didn't do that but it's bogging out at 4k rpm won't go no higher? I just figured that was the next step idle is set 1100 and everything is warmed up when I set the idle.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Do you have the air filter in and the lid on the airbox? If you are trying to rev it up with those off you can expect to have some issues. The carbs need some back pressure to properly draw the fuel in.

Also, is the throttle cable binding or maxed out? If the butterflies can't move or at the max open that will prevent it from going higher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts