RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently saw that the cover of my 2013 Ninja 650 disappeared from the parking lot. Because of personal reasons, I haven't been able to ride my motorcycle for a few months. After the cover disappeared, I decided to get on the bike and move it. I am not able to unlock the handle bar! I am guessing it is because whoever took the cover of my motorcycle also tried to steal the motorcycle and messed up the ignition key slot. However, there are no other signs to go by. The handle is in lock position, I can insert the key, but I can't unlock the handle. Other possibility is that there was no tampering but the handle has gotten stuck/frozen due to nonuse.

I have tried oil, wd-40, graphite lube, wiggling the handle rigorously while rotating the key - nothing works. Both the keys I have work on the gas tank and the back seat.

If I assume that the ignition key was tampered with, what options do I have to make things straight? Should I replace the ignition switch and the handlebar will unlock again? What are the considerations? I can't find a proper write-up/video describing the way to replace an ignition switch - it would be helpful if I get some lead.

Also, what are the other options - Can a locksmith help here? Can I somehow unlock the handlebar? I can't take my motorcycle anywhere right now!

Thanks for the help in advance! I can't wait to get on the motorcycle again!

· Registered
10,350 Posts
Sounds like you would have been better off if the would be thief had been successful. j/k.

Are you sure the key is able to go all the way in? The seat and gas cap don't necessarily use the full length of the key on many bikes.

Do you see evidence that the ignition has been tampered with? Try holding the handlebar all the way to the left instead of wiggling the bars.

A locksmith might be able to help depending on what was done.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you would have been better off if the would be thief had been successful. j/k.

Are you sure the key is able to go all the way in? The seat and gas cap don't necessarily use the full length of the key on many bikes.

Do you see evidence that the ignition has been tampered with? Try holding the handlebar all the way to the left instead of wiggling the bars.

A locksmith might be able to help depending on what was done.
You are right, seat and gas cap don't need the enire key. I feel like the key is completely inside the ignition switch, but who knows if it is off by a millimeter! I will see if I can troubleshoot this part further.

I don't see any other evidence that ignition was tampered with. I will try holding the handlebar all the way to the left. But I think I have tried everything w.r.t handle position.

· Registered
1 Posts
Had this same problem last night. I tried moving the steering wheel and it didn’t work. So I took a lighter and heated up the key for about 6 to 7 seconds stuck it in for a second and turned it and IT WORKED!! So it was definitely because it got frozen from the cold weather. Hope this helps. God bless

1 - 7 of 7 Posts