Registered
975 Posts
Is the hotbox no longer in production?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Is the hotbox no longer in production?
Oh yeah, Dave Davis is still making them. Page 3
I think godsmknh just wants to make his own version.
The one Dave Davis makes is a very high quality work of art.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Should've known, Texas has a stash of them in his parts house :D
LOL You know me so well.:D The problem is usually 'can I find it' since my stash got moved into our already crammed storage room.

Reactions: Nyinfamous2k2

·
Registered
878 Posts
The hotbox is still made, i just got mine from Dave a couple months ago and love it

Reactions: Texas

·
Registered
926 Posts
Tex either has it in his storage or has the link to where you can get it and the exact location on the link where you can find your sought out info. lol siri got nothing on Tex!!!
Godsmk, thats sick man, cant wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hay Crew,,, like it says making the mold,,,, still some shaving to do, any input would be great !! we will see if this is a hit or miss... View attachment 107466 View attachment 107474 View attachment 107482
I'm all for doing it yourself and custom made, good for you! Just remember the swing arm travel all the way compressed that it doesn't hit. I removed my seat cover and re made the seat foam to fit me better, not as big a job but it feels good modifying stuff yourself instead of an off the shelf item.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I'm all for DIY projects myself too but not this one, way too complicated and too much work along with a considerably high material cost to set up to do a one off. And I say that from a perspective of having personally done many projects involving fiberglass.

Some consider the cost of a new one as pricey but the craftsmanship that goes into making it along with the quality of it, overall it is a bargain and then some.

However if godsmknh continues on I will follow his progress with great interest and admire his creative skill to take on a project such as this.

Reactions: bearclaw

·
Registered
926 Posts
Also dont forget about the oil filter. you dont want to block it in, there has to be enough clearance behind it to remove it during oil changes

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Also dont forget about the oil filter. you dont want to block it in, there has to be enough clearance behind it to remove it during oil changes
That's a good point, and if your design can give a little more room to get the filter on & off that would be a win.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nyinfamous2k2 thanks very good point, which I did review my side box will be 2 parts with 2 10ml bolts from what i have drawn up should work out I will see I really want to fill the entire area,,, so I have a guy at work doing some cad work for me ( yes during work hours ) lol with the long weekend progress has stopped... but not for long

and thanks all for the good feed back.... it's ether sink or swim look another said not that easy but willing to try my Vision....

·
Registered
926 Posts
S&^t , why not, go for it man. if you have the means, like you said sink or swim. I like taking on projects like this, that are outside my norm but still in my wheelhouse. so for me its usually carpentry projects, and no matter what the result its always fun and a learning experience. Im to chicken "poop" to try things on the bike other then routine maintenance and direct swapping of parts lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nyinfamous makes a great point, I recently added a HotBox paired with an oil filter (Purolator PL14612, the shorter 2.5" one) that was SUPPOSED to allow you to remove it without having to take the hot box off. Well, no dice, that was not the case, not enough clearance. Fortunately, member hagger clued me in to the Hiflofiltro HF204 filter, works perfect now. See comparison photos. Good luck with your new box design godsmknh!

b2c08631f9c6ef7273d2d10d8f7e9d04.jpg d7864b34849135ea9036c7f219a8dcf8.jpg .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey I'm a newjack but can you make one of those with a 3D printer? I'm thirsting for a rear seat cowl ('16 ninja 650R) and I see them on ebay for $209. The ZX6R cowl is $22.......and I'm like, it's just a hunk of plastic. Why is the 650R going for a couple hundred? Thinking if I could find a 3D printer guy, he could make me one for $3. So just thinking......maybe not a great think but.....???
Rubber

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey I'm a newjack but can you make one of those with a 3D printer? I'm thirsting for a rear seat cowl ('16 ninja 650R) and I see them on ebay for $209. The ZX6R cowl is $22.......and I'm like, it's just a hunk of plastic. Why is the 650R going for a couple hundred? Thinking if I could find a 3D printer guy, he could make me one for $3. So just thinking......maybe not a great think but.....???
Rubber
Yes...I mean No...Or maybe...Where's my beer?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Cheaper printers lack resolution and most are only good for small pieces. Unless your time is a free commodity or you plan on selling them the design time would be substantial if you want to match the original fairing. The hotbox would be a lot simpler to design and require a lot less internal bracing but print time would be massive with entry level hobbyist units. Welding and doing bends with a brake would be way easier/faster for a one off unless you're good with 3D design and drop 5 figures on a printer. You could maybe get away with a smaller one if you build it in sections, epoxy them, and all would need acetone/sanding/filler to smooth the body.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts