RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my Ninja 650r for a year now and I've gotten into an accident that scared me quite a bit. I entered a highway entrance around 80mph and I was unaware of the traffic up ahead. I immediately slammed my front and rear brakes and slammed into the back of a car. Luckily, the impact didn't send me flying. My motorcycle fairings were completely destroyed, but everything else on the motorcycle was functioning just fine.

Is there an aftermarket ABS brake part that I can install on my 2011 Ninja 650r?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Eighty sounds a little excessive for entering onto the freeway.
True, but its just the way it is in some parts of the country I guess. Here in SD everyone is always hauling as$, cars, bikes, the police, etc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can buy all the OEM ABS components, tear your bike completely apart, and install them. However, you would need to flash your ECU with the software for an ABS bike. And getting your hands on that ECU flash might prove difficult if not impossible.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Like Luckyduck said, anything can be done. But like HBK said, your best bet is to get a new bike. There are no aftermarket ABS systems so you're looking at OEM. It's a highly integrated system with lots of parts.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
ABS brakes would not have helped you in that situation as you described it. You need to work on your skills and situational awareness. If you couldn't see the traffic ahead because of the terrain or the vehicle you were following, then you were riding too fast for conditions. Don't let others dictate how fast you ride. That will always get you into trouble.

Driver aids are a great thing when used to supplement skills for those oh CRAP! moments. Unfortunately, too many are using driver aids to mask poor driving/riding skills.

Trade the bike in on an ABS model if you think that is going to save you.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I agree with twowheeladdict. Skills should be priority #1. Unless the bike is not functioning properly, the rider is probably at fault. I can attest that a 650R at high speeds has no problem slowing/stopping, even without ABS.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sky - Glad you at least sound you are Okay - and dont take offense - IMHO - Skills save the day - AGATT is important - but skills generally keep you from having to test the gear. AS for the bike - I second the fix it up - sell it - and get and get an ABS machine..........

AS for me - one day....... sigh.........

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I did the same thing right when I bought my concours 14 abs....I avoided hitting the back of a lady who decided to stop at the top of a deserted ramp. She was very old and must have saw the Grim Reaper walking by..I really dont know.....The abs system was amazing , that day, but I messed up in needing it. To look at it any other way is deadly. If tc, abs, and such is bailing you out (non racetrack) you are on borrowed time.

But, these guys are right. I believe the abs bikes will stop in a shorter distance for a situation like this where you look up and see the car WAY TOO CLOSE and have to react RIGHT NOW!!!! but its not a solution.

You mentioned 80, on a ramp, as the way its done in some areas...Obviously not that day, at that time, and theres no old lady detector available. You probably had the same one stop in front of you....she retired to San Diego after trying to take me out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm still drooling over the Ducati 899 Panigale I got to ride about a week ago. Never considered that bike, hell I didn't even know it existed, before taking a spin on one at a local bike meet. Amazing machine.

Also, it has ABS. Ride one at the risk of emotional attachment.

With that said, my 650 doesn't have ABS and its my first bike... ever. I try to ride very smart and cautious every day. I def do not go 80, not even on the highway. Not yet. The way I see it, if they want to pass me they can. I also leave a massive buffer between me and other vehicles. As others have stated, the brakes BITE. They will def stop you. I have been fortunate enough, due to my riding style, to not have to use them to their full potential.

And I'm just going to throw this out there while I'm at it. But riding a bike is just nice. Its nice to feel the open air and sunshine. I recommend everyone just enjoy riding for riding. Don't get caught up in speed. When you're going fast your focus is 100%; clocked to the max. Its hard, if not impossible, to just enjoy the ride. I'm a pretty big fan of a riding casual and at a moderate pace 90% of the time. But when you come upon a long str8.. well there's nothing wrong with a little fun occasionally. haha

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Nothing wrong with going fast. Some people enjoythat aspect of riding. As for the 100% focus thing, I slightly disagree. As you get more experienced, things that used to require lots of focus might not anymore. I read that in a K.C. book and it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I agree with focus. If you are riding a track 100%, fast, it does tend to get easier and your 100% starts to climb. Or, you'll need to add speed to get to that terror level.

For the street, LOL.....

I'll group myself with you. We did the same thing, my outcome was more forgiving.

Truth is, we both got complacent and felt we had things under control. Thats stupid to do, and has deadly consequences. Now, being that we both know we tend to do this, the electronic safety net needed is to watch for this trait to appear again, and stop it. When you think its mastered, go back again and evaluate what you do.

I've battled this since I started riding 44 years ago. I've learned that track and street dont have much to do with each other. The state of mind needed is so different. Also, being complacent wont be fixed with an electronic sensor.

Notice cars are now starting to use "front end collision avoidance systems" Right on..thats way better thna me havinggn to watch, right?

·
Registered
991 Posts
No amount of technology can replace paying attention and having the requisite skill set. None. If you look at ABS, and front end collision warning, blind spot detectors, lane departure warning, backup beeper sensors, all of htose systems are deisgned to overcome one thing - not paying attention. I like to ride fast too, and I make it a point to pay attneiton, cause the second your focus drifts, that's when the SHTF.

For example: I'm on the freeway a few weeks ago on my way home, mid afternoon, traffic is moderate but mving at a good clip. A HUGE shadow goes over all the cars, so I did what people naturally do and looked up. 2 USMC Ospreys were flying in formation way way low going in the same direction I was. I took only a moment to look up and say wow. I look down, and found that the freeway was now 100% stopped cause everyone was looking up, and I'm doing 70 or so. Using proper very hard braking, I was able t oslow sufficiently that when I got to the stopped cars, I was able to let off the brakes and lane split on my merry way like normal. The reason I didn't crash is because I've BTDT - used ALL of the brakes, all at once, and ended up on the ground. Since then, I've made it a point to practice braking very aggressively from various speeds, to the point where the automatic reaction is not "grab all them brakes baby!!" but a more controlled albeit very aggressive braking.

/rant/

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
You dont happen to live near Pendleton by chance do you? Hehe. On braking, someonr once mentioned if you are going to be riding around at 65+mph, it would be in your best interest to practice emergency braking at that speed. Alot of people practice cornering drills amd what not but emergency braking is also a very important skill to practice.

·
Registered
412 Posts
09-11 Ninja 650R's didn't come with ABS . There are no factory parts to add it and there is no after market systems.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
09-11 Ninja 650R's didn't come with ABS . There are no factory parts to add it and there is no after market systems.
That's why I mentioned comparable value. He may be able to find a newer bike with minor damage or a few more miles on it for comparable money.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't know how fast you guys need to be but when its all traffic I always cover my front brakes with two fingers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts