RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09' 650R- Towards the back of the bike on both sides of the swingarm..there are two threaded holes..What are these for? I looked at them again today, and It's really bothering me..and I didn't want to sound like an idiot...there has to be a purpose for them..Thanks in advance! Lol..:dunno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is where you put the spools for use with a rear bike stand. Not all bike stands require them. Just search for "spooled rear stand" and you should be able to find a photo of a stand and spools. To see the difference, you can search for a "swingarm rear stand" as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is where you put the spools for use with a rear bike stand. Not all bike stands require them. Just search for "spooled rear stand" and you should be able to find a photo of a stand and spools. To see the difference, you can search for a "swingarm rear stand" as well.
Thank You! Now I can sleep tonight..Lol ... :alcy:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And I just bought a "Harbor Freight" aluminum rear stand...Lol
Now I can take it out of the box and get a set of the spoolers...You really do learn a new thing everyday!

·
Banned
679 Posts
Now I can take it out of the box and get a set of the spoolers...You really do learn a new thing everyday!
I'm almost positive you would have figured it out when you went to hook up your rear stand but had nothing to press against lol, get some one to help you with it the first few times.

After that, there is a technique which I'll share since I assume based on your question you don't know how to do it. Put the bike on its kickstand, standing on the kickstand side keep your left hand on the bike and slide the rear stand into position behind the rear wheel, tilt the bike up wards till it is almost straight up but still leaning more on the kickstand side, push the rear stand in place then apply pressure so your holding the bike up by the rear stand, press down. Make sure you have a spotter the first couple of times.

Personally, I always have some one help me because they are available and it's safer. But I dont know your situation, so I'd figure I'd share that tip.

·
Registered
586 Posts
you can also just lift the bike by the rear stand by engaging the left side spool on the stand and gently pushing down until the bike is almost upright, engaging the right side of the spool, and then completely push down... only requires one person, and you can lower back onto the kickstand by reversing the process...

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I mounted the passenger hand rails to have something to bungee to and to have something to grab when I am working on the bike. Probably the most useful $ I spent on the 650R.

·
Registered
267 Posts
you can also just lift the bike by the rear stand by engaging the left side spool on the stand and gently pushing down until the bike is almost upright, engaging the right side of the spool, and then completely push down... only requires one person, and you can lower back onto the kickstand by reversing the process...
This is exactly what I do, and my bike weighs 480 lb.

·
Banned
679 Posts
that's what I was attempting to describe

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've got one of those too. Harbor Freight also sells the matching spools for $4.99. Couple things to keep in mind. The part on the stand that engages the spools is very narrow. I think it only fits the Harbor Freight spools. If you get normal size spools, you'll need to open up the gap where the spools fit. And a word of caution. If you do this, wrap this part with electrical tape. Otherwise it will gouge out your new spools the first time you lift your bike. Don't ask me how I know this (I always wanted to use that line). And the technique described in a previous post on how to lift your bike is spot on. The bike raises easy this way with no chance of falling over.

·
Registered
806 Posts
better yet, place a 2X4 under the kickstand to level the bike out a lot and then slide the rear stand in place to lift the rear wheel...easy.
Just make sure the 2X4 is in place when lowering it back down and go slow

·
Registered
586 Posts
that's what I was attempting to describe
except we dont tilt the bike up first with our other hand... we just use the stand to right the bike

·
Registered
384 Posts
except we dont tilt the bike up first with our other hand... we just use the stand to right the bike
Yup, I just steady it with my left hand as I push down on the stand with my right, making sure the right spool engages the hook.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts