RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new front tire put on a little while back and I have been noticing a ton of noise coming from my front wheel now. All kinds of friction/rubbing sounds to squeaking type sounds. I also noticed that my front brake lever seems tighter, as in I don't have to pull it as much to engage the brakes. It seems like the shop might have over tightened something a bit. Is there a way I can back the brakes off a little? I haven't really had to mess with my brakes at all up to this point so I don't know much about them.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Sounds like your front calipers are "sticky".....as a result of having the wheel off and the pistons in a position they aren't used to.
If it was a "real" bike shop that put on the tire, take it back to them for the necessary brake piston work.

AND....monitor your disk to be sure that things aren't heating up too much; likely you are on the verge of a locked front brake. NOT GOOD.

I think you should ride the bike ONLY to the shop to get it fixed.....and slowly at that.
Use the front brake as little as possible until it's fixed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang.... I guess I will have them look at it. It made some noise before which I heard from some of the other dudes on here that that is normal on some bikes because of how close the pads sit. Any little piece of dust can cause some squeaking. But it came back from the shop way worse.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The shop could have re-installed the calipers improperly or the pads are binding/misaligned, also due to improper installation. The misalignment will not allow the brakes to float properly and if there is a slight bind, it will cause those problems.

Generally, brake pads are supposed to make contact with the rotors at all times. Therefore, to answer your original question, there isn't any way to back them off. Your calipers should be tight and the pistons apply constant pressure to the back of the pads for rotor contact.

Also, ensure they reuse anti-squeal on the back of the pads when re-installing. As the pads make constant contact, they can vibrate on the pistons causing squeals. Using the anti-squeal will ensure they don't.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop could have re-installed the calipers improperly or the pads are binding/misaligned, also due to improper installation. The misalignment will not allow the brakes to float properly and if there is a slight bind, it will cause those problems.

Generally, brake pads are supposed to make contact with the rotors at all times. Therefore, to answer your original question, there isn't any way to back them off. Your calipers should be tight and the pistons apply constant pressure to the back of the pads for rotor contact.

Also, ensure they reuse anti-squeal on the back of the pads when re-installing. As the pads make constant contact, they can vibrate on the pistons causing squeals. Using the anti-squeal will ensure they don't.
Took them off and cleaned everything and used some of that no squeal stuff. So far so good. Hopefully that keeps things running a little smoother. Thanks for the advice man. I'm learning how to work on my bike bit by bit via this forum! :righton:

·
Registered
48 Posts
My back brakes are getting hot and putting off a smell. The front brakes are doing fine. The front makes just a slight rubbing noise sometimes. I think that is just dust and grime. I live down a 1/4 mile gravel road so that doesn't help. The back brake pads look like they have plenty of padding left on them. Should i just change the pads anyway or is it something else thats the problem?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The rear rotor is the floating type. The whole caliper moves horizontally on two greased axles and returns via air pressure buildup. If the axle grease is washed away or they dont seal well enough to pressurize they will just stay grinding against the rotor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts