RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
I'm sorry but it looks to much like a riding mower...If I get to lazy or injured to ride a bike ,I'll be looking at a convertable.

A guy near my house owns a big fat red one with all the bells and whistles. He is prolly early 60's. I see him all the time with his wife on the back of that thing. Matching red bubble helmets straight from the 70's. Matching bubble bodies that took since the 70's to fill out. T shirt, jean shorts, long socks, white tennis shoes. He always pulls up to me at the light. I will wave and he will give me a harley style chin lift and then look straight on. I wave every time to see it. I need to record it and put it on Youtube because it is halarious. I don't wanna make fun, but the irony is absolutely killing me.

I have been on 2 wheels all my life and have riddin every kind of bike made and loved every minute of it. But!!! now i am 80 years young and just don"t feel i can handle a full size harley with my wife on the back. Did not want to give up just yet so pardon me but i love my Spyder and have 20,000 safe and fun miles on it. We also have a nice club with older folks we ride with. (THATS WHY WE SPENT GOOD MONEY) Put that in your jugemental pipe and smoke it. Tim

I have been on 2 wheels all my life and have riddin every kind of bike made and loved every minute of it. But!!! now i am 80 years young and just don"t feel i can handle a full size harley with my wife on the back. Did not want to give up just yet so pardon me but i love my Spyder and have 20,000 safe and fun miles on it. We also have a nice club with older folks we ride with. (THATS WHY WE SPENT GOOD MONEY) Put that in your jugemental pipe and smoke it. Tim
Chalk most of that up to the arrogance of youth. Keep on rollin as long as you can my friend!

You know the problem with the Spider?

It would have 4 wheels if there was a reasonable way to do so. Not from a design, or manufacturing angle, that would be easy.

Its from rules point of view. If it had 4 wheels, its a car and would need airbags and all the safety features a car has, so they sliced one wheel off to avoid that.

If this gets soemone 80 years old out riding, Im all in and it gets my full support.

I think the Slingshot would look better with 4 wheels personally. I wonder if someone could modify it and get away with it. You don't re-title classify a trike conversion. Might be a matter of it being "easier to apologize than get permission" maybe?

I think the Slingshot would look better with 4 wheels personally. I wonder if someone could modify it and get away with it. You don't re-title classify a trike conversion. Might be a matter of it being "easier to apologize than get permission" maybe?
For the money - I would rather buy a convertible sports car - same buzz but no requirement for a helmet.

Have only ridden a few times around town on a Piaggio Mp3. Lean is quick and sensitive, similar to a flick-able sport bike. The front suspension uses a very substantial massive parallelogram to keep the two front tires at same angle. So the two wheels act as one is likely why MP3 handles like a motorcycle.

A unsuspected surprise is it weighs more than full size motorcycles. When parked it has a sophisticated suspension locking system that locks the suspension from leaning and also vertical travel. Apparently it has a high seat that is a problem with some riders. Having to place legs at an angle out to the side because of the floor board. Custom seats and height adjustable suspension are mods done to solve the height issue.

I became interested after seeing a local rider riding one around town. It was something different and not like a scooter. Followed it a few miles and saw how it effortlessly kept up with traffic. When one was up for sale and needed a bunch of parts, ah ha Project bike !

Lesson learned with this project was parts are much harder to find. There is just not the same number out there to part out like regular motorcycles. Lesson was probably better to find a nice used intact one.

If I lost the leg strength to lift a bike of the side stand, or hold it up at a light and still really wanted to ride, I would get one of those trike conversions that allows the bike to still lean in the curves.

Tilting Motor Works - High-performance trike kit for your Harley®

I would buy a convertible sports car before I ever bought a slingshot. My wife and I test drove a Miata RF club edition yesterday. It would be a blast on the curvy hilly roads where we live. I actually liked it better than the corvettes I recently test drove. The corvette didn't provide the fun factor in the curves until you were at go to jail or crash into something around that blind curve speeds. Kind of like why I don't ride an SS bike. It would be boring at legal speeds, and I don't have a track nearby.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy
If I lost the leg strength to lift a bike of the side stand, or hold it up at a light and still really wanted to ride, I would get one of those trike conversions that allows the bike to still lean in the curves.

Tilting Motor Works - High-performance trike kit for your Harley®

I would buy a convertible sports car before I ever bought a slingshot. My wife and I test drove a Miata RF club edition yesterday. It would be a blast on the curvy hilly roads where we live. I actually liked it better than the corvettes I recently test drove. The corvette didn't provide the fun factor in the curves until you were at go to jail or crash into something around that blind curve speeds. Kind of like why I don't ride an SS bike. It would be boring at legal speeds, and I don't have a track nearby.
Yes. The Miata - the modern MG. Fun little sports car with the looks and performance. Good choice...there is a company in Oz which drops big bore V8s into them....would be a blast to own. http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/meet-the-v8-powered-mx5-20160802-gqj0tr.html

Yes. The Miata - the modern MG. Fun little sports car with the looks and performance. Good choice...there is a company in Oz which drops big bore V8s into them....would be a blast to own. Meet the V8 powered MX-5
That V8 would probably kill the 50/50 weight ratio!

Reactions: HilbillyKat
Gee...killing the 50/50 ratio...fark me runnin! what a horrible thought...and being nose heavy....well, lets just forget the whole idea. Of course the expert sports car drivers have their opinions. I just like the concept of a stylish compact convertible with a beautiful V8 burbling under the bonnet as being a good idea because the majority of owners - including the detractors who could probably never afford it - would also never be able to explore the car's ability....but each to his own. Moving right along...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.