RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love my ZR, but a cam would seem an awful long way to go for the results. Maybe if you just had to have the 'fastest ZR-7S on the planet'. Replacing the cam usually means new springs, head work and some extensive (not to mention expensive) down time even if you could find cams for the ZR - all of which equals no riding.

If it was me (and it is :) ), I would just opt for a faster ride (a '01 ZX-9R) (and I did).

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Gotta agree with you on that, Kawman. I keep going back to the dealer and sitting on the ZX7R and the ZX6R. How to you like that ZX9R? What's the weight, HP, and seat height on that bike (I'm only 5' 8") so that is a concern for me. Must be nice to have such a choice on weekends on what to ride! Tom :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
GPZ cams !

Hi guys,

I think that you are all wrong (hopefully) :)
My info says that the cams from the 83 GPZ fit nicely with no mods-cutting the head or anything like that. The GPZ had 85 HP with only differences from the ZR7 in the cams and carbs.
Í'm going to find out and then my friend on his Hornet 600 will be in trouble!!
Now he's faster on the straights, but not by much ;)
It seems that the next sensible mod is this, as I have Devil can, KN filter, 112 jests and shims. Since the cams need to be removed anyway for the next valve adjustment, I see no reason why this mod is far fetched.
Aris

·
Registered
965 Posts
GPZ cams

Here are the ZR7 and GPZ part numbers.
Notice some similarity? Take a good look at the diagrams at www.buykawasaki.com
Do you see any difference? I don't, but I know that the difference is in the lobes!!

ZR7
Ref# Part #
12044 12044-1460 CAMSHAFT-VALVE,INTAKE
12044A 12044-1461 CAMSHAFT-VALVE,EXHAUST

GPZ750 (82)
Ref# Part #
12044 12044-1043 CAMSHAFT-VALVE,INTAKE
12044A 12044-1044 CAMSHAFT-VALVE,EXHAUST

The Ref# are the same. Therse can be bought at a Kawasaki dealer and that's what I'm going to do soon!

Aris

·
Registered
374 Posts
The 9R is a feather compared to the 7S (even though its heavier than a 929RR or GSXR1000). The saddle is a bit higher, I am 6' and my feet just rest flat. However, it is the most comfortable of the three (I tried them all before I bought).

The two bikes are separate worlds to ride though. The 7S is fast, but the 9R SCREAMS. I enjoy riding them both. I use the 7S for work, etc. and the 9R for weekends.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't get your hopes up because the part number prefixes match. The pulse rotor cover (RH crank end cover) and the black plastic gauge cover have the same part number prefix. :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
Cam Update

I have been doing some cam research and this is what I have discoverd so far. The GPZ cams will fit in our bike and as stated earlier, the only difference between the ZR-7 motor and the GPZ motor are the cams and the carbs. The GPZ came with 34 mm carbs. I have been unable to locate the cam specs for the ZR-7, but I do have them for the GPZ 750 and the KZ 650. I am not sure if the KZ 650 cams are the same as the ZR-7 Cams, as the KZ 650 had a 9,000 RPM redline.

GPZ 750 .354" lift with 250 degrees of duration at .040"
KZ 650 .308" lift with 220 degrees of duration at .040"

Cams are available through either a company called MegaCycle Cams out of San Rafael, CA or Web Cam out of Riverside, CA. A set will run between $375 and $400. They do require you to send your cams to them so they can do a hard-face overlay to the existing cam lobes. I have used this type or hard-faced cam before and they are extemely durable. Retail from Kawasaki for GPZ cams will be close to $500. MegaCycle has cams with comparable specs to the GPZ cams--same lift with 4 degrees more duration. These cams can be used with stock pistons and springs. Using any other cams will require higher compression pistons and different valve springs.

MegaCycle can be reached at 415-472-3195, they do not have an operating web site. Web Cam can be reached at 909-369-5144 or at Web Cam

At some point in the near future, I am going to have my ZR-7S put on the dyno to get a baseline horsepower reading. My next modification will be a complete new exhaust system from Muzzy (header and muffler) along with a K&N air cleaner and jet kit (Factory). After this is complete, I am going to install a big-bore kit and cams. As we know, Wiseco make an 810 kit, which raises the compression from 9.5:1 to 10.25:1. APE (American Perfromance Engineering) also makes a piston kit--details on this kit are not yet available.

I hope you find this information helpful, and as I learn more, I will post it on the board.

Tom Droze #210
1975 Honda CB 400F
1976 Honda CB 550F
2001 Kawasaki ZR-7S

My Honda's

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hello all,

I am thinking like Kawman here. I bought the ZR knowing it was not a fast bike, but an cheap, economical, yet still enjoyable bike. At first I looked at what ever possible improvements I could make. $400 for pistons, $500 for cams, $100 jet kit, $50 air filter, $300 for a slip-on, $100 for springs. Add all of that up and you bought a ZRX1100. And probably still haven't gotten the 7 to the 11's performance standards or power to weight ratio, and even if it did, I wouldn't consider to be as stable of a platform as the 11 in stock condition .

Just my opinion. I guess there is the desire to make a "9 second bike in street clothing", but the 7 is not my choice to try it with.

Ethan

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Jarel is right, the journey is where it's at!!! I have found that I REALLY enjoy working on my bike. The customization part is all the fun.

I bought the ZR-7 first because of the looks, second I could afford to pay cash for it. If I had gotten a ZRX I would have done almost all the same mods, and probably more because there seems to be more available for the ZRX. Not to mention I don't like the color schemes of the ZRX and I would have had to paint it before it broke 1000 miles.

I don't know if I will go as far as the big bore kit and cams before my next bike (probably an FZ-1, two years from now) but they are not out of the question at all.

Now where is my credit card?
Chris

·
Registered
304 Posts
Web Cams?

Hummm.... Riverside is about 30 miles up the road from me and Emrah. I wonder if the need a test mule for the cam work?

Philip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts