RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, I have like 4 feeler guages, some 30 years old and some new last year.
Will be buying some shim kits,compression tool and gasket today. Hopefully I can find a shop that can deliver them in under 4 weeks as the closest shop to me is 1.25-2.5 hours away.
This virus has disrupted everything it seems.

I'm also going to take the advise on cleaning the engine that I found on another thread. I used to use only Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, had never before heard of adding kerosense to the crankcase....but did find that someone used "Wurth "sabesto" engine flush and cleaner" with success. SO once my new oil filters arrive I'll do the flush and Marvel Mystery Oil thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would hold off on the engine flush until the valves are adjusted. Your compression most likely will increase afterwards. There is also a solution you can make out of transmission fluid and acetone which is supposed to work better than any premade stuff. There are many YouTube videos on it, You could pour a little in the cylinder then move the piston slightly up and down using the rear tire. It may possibly loosen a stuck ring. But you should wait until after the valve adjustment.

You can't order the shim kit until you have an idea of what size you need which will involve measuring the gap and removing the cams to get at the existing shims to measure them.
If you do in fact have a burnt valve, you will need to remove the head. That's when to buy the spring compression tool.

I ordered my shims from a place that had them to me in a few days. Here's what I bought and it's likely you'll need the same sizes. This is an 84 piece set. I forget what I paid but I know they were under a dollar per shim. Hopefully I'll have enough for the next adjustment.

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would hold off on the engine flush until the valves are adjusted. Your compression most likely will increase afterwards. There is also a solution you can make out of transmission fluid and acetone which is supposed to work better than any premade stuff. There are many YouTube videos on it, You could pour a little in the cylinder then move the piston slightly up and down using the rear tire. It may possibly loosen a stuck ring. But you should wait until after the valve adjustment.

You can't order the shim kit until you have an idea of what size you need which will involve measuring the gap and removing the cams to get at the existing shims to measure them.
If you do in fact have a burnt valve, you will need to remove the head. That's when to buy the spring compression tool.

I ordered my shims from a place that had them to me in a few days. Here's what I bought and it's likely you'll need the same sizes. This is an 84 piece set. I forget what I paid but I know they were under a dollar per shim. Hopefully I'll have enough for the next adjustment.
View attachment 123175
Thanks Zed7, good advice and I've now have the addy for shims written down.

I've already ordered oil filters (received them), valve and oil pan gaskets should be arriving in a week.

Seems UPS and USPS are really still having problems w/ timely deliveries lately.

The thing that stinks is I had shims from a crash bike in my yard that I gave away a couple of years ago from
a KZ750 Spectre(?). (not sure if those would have been the same 13mm size though).
I'll have to check & see if any of the other crash bikes I have still have the shims in them. Let's hope. ;-)
The other thing that stinks is we've been having great riding weather lately also. Such is life, non?
michel

21 - 23 of 23 Posts