RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a couple quick questions for you. I'm going to go to Australia for three months starting in March. I plan to work to support myself while I'm there. Do you guys know if it is important for me to have a work permit or is it easy to obtain temporary work illegally. I just dont want to pay the extra administrative fees of getting a work permit.

My other question is which city should I live in? Melbourne or Sydney? Are there any drawbacks, differences that I should be aware of? Keep in mind that I am a 21 year old student.

Thanks for any help. Happy riding,

Ross

·
Registered
25 Posts
The country is full of illegal immigrants working illegally (if the media is to be believed) If they can - you can. Sydney is the place to be if you can afford it - Melbourne's weather sucks. Try and see the Australian Outback. To watch the sun set on the red soil plains and be hundreds of miles from the nearest town is the real Australia - A city is just a city

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
What do you intend to do, base yourself in one city and head off on weekends etc or travel around all the time?

The good old aussie peso is about half a greenback. Doing "cash in hand" barwork etc will get you AU$10 an hour plus tips ( we don't tip here tho.) Working in an office say 20hrs a week will pay about $20 an hour doing evenings. I work with General Electric and we are always looking for "temps" (temporary staff) to do callcentre work at nights 4-8pm/5-9pm. A lot of backpackers do this since they finish work then head out on the town, then wake up about noon the next day.

Sydney is spectacular but more expensive. The city centre sort of dies at night but it's lively in the suburbs. Melbourne is the opposite the centre is where it all happens and the suburbs are dead.

A lot of students have share places. $100 a week will get you a room in an apartment close to the city.

Mar-Apr-May...I think Melbourne is better coz even though it's colder we do have a round of the WSB on Mar24 Phillip Island.

:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my plan is to work in one city for about two months. i'll probably take little weekend trips during those two months. then after two months hopefully i will have been able to save up enough money to travel for another month and see the rest of australia.

is that $20/hr doing office work a legal job or would i be able to get that without a work permit. that sounds like the type thing i'd like to do.

the race at philip island is definitely something i have been taking into consideration.

thanks for the help guys.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I think you can get a 6month student work visa. Allows you to work no longer than 3mths in any one job. It's worth it as all the temp agancies request it.

You can get call centre work doing debt collecting, customer service, loan applications etc. Not bad for part time cash. And its all "prime time" ie: evenings. Frees up your days.

Also keep your receipts as we have a 10% GST ( Goods and Services Tax) and tourists can get that refunded on major purchases when they leave the country.

If you need a vehicle try : http://www.autotrader.com.au

If you need a visa try : http://www.immi.gov.au

If you need work try : http://www.careerone.com.au/

:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sydney has twice the annual rainfall of Melbourne (1200mm versus 600mm). It's also more humid. But Melbourne's weather is more variable (4 seasons in one week is not uncommon).

Sydney is more expensive.

Sydney is where all the international tourists go until they wake up.

The food is better and cheaper in Melbourne.

In Melbourne they play real football (Aussie rules).

Sydney is a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.

Melbourne has trams ... Sydney does not (got rid of them in the name of progress).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts