RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my ER6n, but have never been a big fan of the "giant banana" style of the seat and tail section. How do you all think it would look with a short cafe tail? The frame would have to be cut and the ECU moved, and you'd probably lose the helmet locks, but you'd probably save a lot of weight.

Sport bars or clip-ons and a round headlight would complete the effect:
Copy of 2009-kawasaki-er-6n-4_1600x0w.jpg Copy of Copy of 2009-kawasaki-er-6n-4_1600x0w.jpg Copy (2) of Copy of 2009-kawasaki-er-6n-4_1600x0w.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
You dont like the er's headlight??
I'd say it's less of not liking the headlight, and more of really loving the simple round headlights... if I owned an ER I would drop the headlight and toss on a round headlight with flyscreen anyway... it's all personal preference of course. The beauty of motorcycles is the ability to make each machine something that you love. With a little time coming up I plan to change my 650r up a bit and post up results on the forum upon completion. Nothing too crazy, but it will be a little different.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I thought of replacing the headlight and adding a flyscreen, like the one pictured here, but it would cost more than $300, and the stock light works pretty well. Someday . . .

img4347es.jpg

The light and fairing are available from Aztec 8, at Products. The light and mount kit is $208. The flyscreen is $98. By the way, Triumph Thruxton flyscreens are occasionally available on eBay for about $100 - very good quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats about exactly what i'd like to do with my ER6n. I'd love to figure out how to do the seat / tail setup like your pictures above. I actually have the 7" round light and flyscreen similar to the black bike pictured, just need to fix up the seat / rear cowl. I'd probably opt to ditch the two side fairings that house the turn signals, but would need to get a better looking coolant over flow bottle, and relocate turn signals somewhere. I also like this interpretation of an ER6n cafe: ER6n Cafe Racer conversion -

hmm I would miss my helment locks though..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ninja 650R Streetfighter round headlight

I did the 7-inch round headlight conversion on my 06 Ninja 650R - now a streetfighter. The headlight and fork brackets from fly-n-cycle were under $100, I made the headlight brackets out of 3/8 plywood, and have since added fly-n-cycle's flyscreen for $60 - $80, depending on how tall and tint or not. I went with the short, tinted one. So total cast for the Ducati-look (not in this picture) was around $160 plus plywood, paint, and time.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can get a good 7" round headlight and brackets for less than $100 from Mike's XS, which is what I did on my Suzuki GS550.

The tail wouldn't be hard to do. I would get a cafe seat from someplace like Dime City or Hotwing Glass and fit the cowl and bum-stop pad to the stock Kawasaki seat, then trim the frame and rear bodywork to fit the whole thing. You could just replace the whole seat, but it would be more difficult to attach and probably less comfortable. You'd probably have to cut the frame shorter than the stock seat latches, anyhow. And you'd have to relocate the EMS box.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thinking about it more I think it would look better with a more modern light. Basically an ER6N w/a belly pan, stock light, clip ons and something like a Duc 1098 monoposto tail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
198Rock, i do like the idea of the turn signals you have. May have to try that out.

chicagobob,i may just have to try the seat mod. i'd like to keep it possible to put the bike back to stock, so if i can avoid cutting the frame it would be ideal.
I was thinking along similar lines, Keep the stock seatpan with latches, removing those painted side fairings that run below the seat.

er6seatmod.png

In this crummy diagram of a side-view of the seat, the black line represents the frame, the blue is the stock seat pan/seat, and the red is an idea for a fiberglass cowl to be added on top the stock seat/pan/frame. Even though the frame angles upward towards the rear I'm hoping that with the painted plastics removed you could cover the stock frame with a reasonably sized (and not gigantic) cafe tail. The sides of the new cowl could be extended downward to hide the upward angle of the stock seat and extend forward to the tank, somewhat replacing the function of the oem side farings. It'd be really trick if i could work out a small door somehow on the cowl to have a small bit of storage in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, If you ever ride in the rain, keeping the stock tail fender is a good idea. Otherwise, you'll have a wet, sandy, muddy backside after evena little bit of rain. Ask me how I know this. I put my rear fender back on, since I ride in all weather conditions until the snow. Recommend heated grips also - they rock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I thought of replacing the headlight and adding a flyscreen, like the one pictured here, but it would cost more than $300, and the stock light works pretty well. Someday . . .

View attachment 57503

The light and fairing are available from Aztec 8, at Products. The light and mount kit is $208. The flyscreen is $98. By the way, Triumph Thruxton flyscreens are occasionally available on eBay for about $100 - very good quality.
Is the stock instrument panel hidden under that flyscreen? I love this round headlight/screen look.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts