RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you out there gotta be web page designers, or at least know something about it. I dabble in Dreamweaver and have built a basic page, but I know nothing of the "etiquette" of web page building....I've heard lots of opinions...but what do the "professionals" say? Where can I learn about this....etc.

Last weekend I won Dreamweaver 4.0, Flash 5.0, Freehand 10 and Fireworks something or other. I have all the tools, now I just gotta learn the proper way to do things...

Anybody got some advice for me??
Twyla

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Twyla,

I use Dreamweaver 3.0. Its a fantastic program. Do you have a personal web site. It should come with your ISP account.

Andy

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy, I WON Dreamweaver 4.0, Flash 5.0, Fireworks, and Freehand at a conference this last week. I was already using Dreamweaver 4.0 and know the basics to make it all work, but I want my stuff to look good, and not gaudy. Oh, and yes, I have webspace from my ISP. I've got a page up, but it's kinda yucky right now.

Thanks for all the help so far...I'm still reading everything you guys have sent me so far!

When I get a web page that I'm not ashamed of, I'll post it and get some feedback. right now, I'm embarassed by my web page, but I needed to get some pictures out there for people to see, so I just threw a bunch of stuff up.

Any more thoughts or ideas....send them my way!
Thanks for everything so far!
Twyla

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Twyla,

Here are my thoughts on web page design.

I really dislike Flash! If a web page has flash as the main page, I'm gone. Even with DSL it just takes too long to load. Besides I'm into content not flash.

Here is how I did my main page. I made a table for the top, then a two column table for the body.

I do not like background images. Also its a good idea not to force a background color on the main body where you have writing.

Each page should have a picture(s).

I do not like moving cursors, animation, etc...

Keep your pages simple. Provide many pictures and descriptions.

The bottom of your page should have a Last Modified date.

Andy
http://www.bajka.com

·
Registered
197 Posts
my two pennies

looks like Andy likes the plain jane stuff :)
being a web developer and not a real web designer (i will explain the difference if you want me to) i am always trying to design sites/pages that will be easily changed in the future. configurable, if you will.
this is probably not really important for a personal page, but i tend to work it in anyway :)
i think the most important thing is your audience, if you want to attract surfers like Andy, skip the flashy and glitzy stuff, if you want to attract surfers that like the flashy stuff, go for it.
heck, if you just want to learn to use your new tools, make some crazy stuff, if you like it use it, if not, start over. :)

it's nice to know that there are other web geek cycle riders out there

josh

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit, I like the flash stuff. Not a ton of it, and not gaudy. I've seen some very nicely done sites with it on there and I liked it. That's what I'm going for. A nicely done site, not overdone, but impressive if you will.

Actually, I just want to learn all my new software and use it on my page. I'm looking to get Director as well and learn how to use it. I've heard it's pretty cool.

Oh, and hey....who ever said I was a geek?? hehe...okay, I am....I'm so excited...my husband built me a new computer last night! WOO HOO! It's STINKING fast! Yee haw.....now I have a machine that can keep up with the software I want to use!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Flash can be fun and, if done right, even Andy would probably stick around for it. The start needs to be simple so that it loads quickly and lures the visitor in. Also, don't design your Flash on a fast system. I did this for the first few designs I did and regreted it whan I saw what happen on the 200 Pentium Pro. There are still a lot of people out there using Pentiums and PIIs and if you design the Flash so it needs all the power of a P4, people will leave.

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I'm reading my manual on it right now so hopefully I'll do it right. One thing I want to do for my husband's page is take a picture of him on his bike and make it move across the screen at the top of the page for fun. Just to see what it would look like. Of course, if I don't like it, I simply will remove it!

Thanks for the system advice as well. That makes a ton of sense!!

I really appreciate all the help so far! Thanks guys!!
Twyla

·
Registered
282 Posts
I find it easier to use notepad or wordpad both for new pages and editing. I used frontpage when I first started and now I can't stand the likes because of how it is programed. It's all just personal preference.

·
3,610 Posts
Dreamweaver is MUCH better than Frontpage. There's just no comparison. The code is clean, no "garbage" tags. Very nicely done. Plus you can do a whole lot more with Dreamweaver. It now gives you split screen so you can see half screen in Code and the other half in WYSIWYG.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts