RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've seen someone post about a Buell Blast that his/her spouse has for riding with the ZR7(s) owner, and the rider rode the Blast when his/her ZR was in shop or something. I'm just curious, but what is your opinion of the Blast? Weight, HP, seat height, and so on. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blast?

Tom,
I never rode one, but I have sat on them(I know, not alot to go on but I thought i'd give some input anyway). The are small. Very small. I think a 250 Ninja is bigger than a blast. It would be great for a smaller rider but for anyone else, I think it would be outgrown quickly. I'm only 5-7 and I can stradle the seat and not even touch the bike. Oh by the way, did I mention it was Small :) .
Anyway, I know there is more to riding than size and speed so good luck in your decision and buy what you like instead of what everyone else says you should buy.
Mike B

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Blasts are two-wheeled, bladeless lawn mowers.

Seriously, those things have engines that belong in a scooter, not a 350 pound motorcycle. They have less than 30hp at the wheel.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
never rode one but everything i've heard says they've got all the bad qualities of a buell on a smaller scale. noisy, buzzy, fit and finish not that great. and they are small.

buell designed them as an entry level ride and for that they're probably pretty good. a nice light, underpowered bike with a very low seat. but pricey.

if you want a good starter bike get a 250 nighthawk. if you want a high performance small bike get a ninja 250 or 500.

scott :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
I saw on a motorcycle show on Speedvision (forget the name of the show, but it's the one with that well-endowed, bleached-blonde woman :) ) where some Harley/Buell dealers actually include a type of entry-level learn-to-ride course (kind of like MSF I guess) and they exclusively use Buell Blasts as the trainers. I don't think you actually have to BUY a bike from them either. Also not sure how many dealers offer this.

But... if you're asking for a spouse or someone new starting out, it might be a good way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Take the course, ride the bike. Learn to ride, and decide if you would actually buy the bike yourself.

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
That's detention for you, buster. You have to write "American Thunder" 500 times on the black board and then the complete Tuesday "Speedvision" schedule (excluding the stupid informercials) 50 times. :laugh:

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Triple said:
Blasts are two-wheeled, bladeless lawn mowers.

Seriously, those things have engines that belong in a scooter, not a 350 pound motorcycle. They have less than 30hp at the wheel.
Thanks Trip, that's all I needed to read. I'm after something small for a starter bike for my wife and teach my son to ride. I think I'll start with a used Ninja 250.

Thanks for the input guys. Tom (You up to 500 yet, Emrah?)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ninja 250's are not good learner's bikes in my opinion. They have VERY peaky motors. Their redline is something like 14k and they don't start making any power until like 8k-9k. People learning how to ride aren't typically going to keep a peaky motor in the powerband so they have power when they need it. The motor in the Blast makes power from just over idle.
The other problem with the Ninja is that is has plastic all over. Not the kind of thing that you want on a learner's bike because it *will* be dropped.
The Ninja definitely wins in the price dept, but not by much if you consider the repair cost after the first drop.
The Blast is by no means the best learner's bike but I think it beats out the Ninja 250 by a long shot. Yeah, it weighs 50 lbs more, but has the same HP and more importantly about 75% more torque.

To be perfectly honest, I think a GS500 makes a much better learner's bike than either of the above and you can find well cared for used ones for a song.

If seat height isn't too much of a concern, there are some great 200-250cc D-P bikes too. Like the KLR250, Super Sherpa, XL250R and XR250L, XT225, and DR200SE. All of which have reasonable seat heights and don't weigh a damn thing. :) I learned the most and had a boatload of fun riding around on an old XL175, and that was after having ridden a CB500, KZ650, and RD400. There's nothing quite like two wheel drifts at 35mph. :D

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike, you've given me more options to think about. It is good that I've got plenty of time to make a decision until March or April when riding season is back again (although I will ride anyway through the winter). But back to the Blast, what is its rev limit, not to low I hope? Tom

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I don't think it red lines very high. Here's the factory spec sheet for it: http://www.buell.com/products/blastspecs.asp

It says 34 Crank hp at 6500rpm, so I don't think red line would be too much more than that (8 or 10 grand?)

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I was looking to buy my first bike this summer, I briefly considered the Blast, at least until I found the ZR. ;) The local Harley/Buell dealership was offering a pretty good deal, actually. Buy the Blast to learn on, trade it in to them after a year, and you'd get your full purchase price back to buy something bigger from them. 'course, you had to buy a Harley or a Buell with that, so it was of somewhat limited value. But, if that's where your tastes go, it was a pretty sweet deal.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Buell Blast

Best regards Team:

TOM: From the www.motorcyle.com site:

"....The primary intent of the Blast is as a user-friendly platform for new riders....... it would be hard to beat this Buell for learning purposes. The motor has more torque than some riding mowers that its sound mimics quite closely. It steers lightly and the brakes are progressive and smooth. The only problem with all this is that riders who catch on quick will outgrow the Blast even quicker. The next Ben Bostroms need not apply......"

This's the full article:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/valuebike/00valuebike.html

By the way and IMHO the Honda Rebel is another good option to learn. Just my 2 cents.

Happy Holidays....!

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the links and pics Rob! Really alot of help. But, this is an up and down thing about new riders in my house. One day, it's lets do it and the next it's "well maybe later." And as for my 13 year old son, well Mom isn't so sure just yet -- but I see a small dirtbike for him this spring, well, I hope. Thanks again Rob, Tom :) :cool:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
One day, it's "lets do it" and the next it's "well maybe later."

Yep, same here. I would love to ride with my girlfriend, each of us on our own machines, but she can't give me a solid yes or no to whether or not she wants to learn to ride.

If you do end up getting a small streetbike, the Ninja 250 still gets my vote (for the reasons included in my E-mail). The sound the Blast makes is reason enough not to buy it. I would be embarrassed sitting at a stoplight on one of those things.

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Glad I'm not alone in this predicament, damn I hate 2 up riding! Can't stand the constant helmet banging and weight shifts. And then having to stop to constantly talk about what just happened. Tom :(

BTW, did not get an email, try again: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
triple, if she's waffling back and forth then buy her an MSF course. it's a nice low pressure environment where she can see if she likes riding or not. tell her just to take the course and make her decision afterward. the worst you'll get is an educted passenger :)

i still think the ninja 250 is the best performance small bike but i've got to agree with mike, it's expensive when you drop it and has a peaky motor. he's right, the gs500 is a better and easier beginner bike. more room to grow also since it's riding style isn't so narrowly targeted at performance. it's more of an all arounder.

scott :)

Z

·
0 Posts
the GS500E is a pretty nice all around bike..very simple, sturdy, and reliable...all though it can be a little tall for some of our vertically challenged beginners....I think the Suzuki is a better beginner bike than the Ninja 250...now the 500 Ninja is very nice, but if you drop it, well, it costs $$$...I would never ever consider the Buel Blast...i've seen one in action, what a POS!...I think that Eric Buell builds some fine bikes, but what the hell was he thinking when he made the Blast..(Be-Last)...well, that's just my opinion, and it doesn't matter anyway...I own one of the best motorcycles ever made......the ZR-7.......:cool:

Ride Safe!

Pete
:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
buell blast

My wife has the blast and she loves it. I weight about 250 and it has plenty power for me to ride it. She likes the fact that it is so short and light yet is powerful and rides smoth on the rode. Great bike for a small person. The only problem she had is first gear is geared a little high causing her to have false starts untill getting used to it. The 2001 bikes are geared a little lower.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts