RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these pipes on my bike for the last 4 years and loves them, but I have my first problem, the clips that are welded onto the outside chrome that the clamps fit through have let go, it was the last 2 on the lower pipe toward the tail. It was the welding that broke off. Is there anything I can do about getting this fixed? Is it possible to get just the lower outside cover replaced?

I thought about welding them back on but the chrome finish will turn blue on the opposite side. what are my options? Thanks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Could you use an epoxy to fix it, like J-B Weld..? I dont know anything about epoxy, so maybe someone more familiar with it could chime in whether that would hold up to the heat of the pipes..

**edit** Just checked J-B Weld's website and it says: "It's water-proof; petroleum-, chemical-, and acid-resistent; resists shock, vibration, and extreme temperature fluctuations, and withstands temperatures up to 500°"..

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Welding or replacement is the only way I'd go. I wouldn't trust epoxies to the vibrations on a bike. It wouldn't hurt to try welding it first. Keep a damp rag on the back side to help disperse heat and don't do a continuous bead. Basically use a number of tack welds going back and forth to different areas with plenty of time to let it cool inbetween.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Glad to hear that you got 4 years out of them before you had any problems. I'm about to have my 2nd set of chrome shied replaced ,in less than 1 year, due to cracks in the chrome. Glad I purchased them through the dealer!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried welding with frozen cold cloth, I did this in a small spot that you wouldn't see. no luck with that, burned through the finish with a very slight tack.

I got JB WELD on it now, worth a try.

SO you can get just the outside chrome shields, How much are they??

·
Registered
975 Posts
How's the jb weld holding up..?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts