RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Versys 650 ABS" owner's manual on page 76 says during the first 500 miles, 4000 RPMs should not be exceeded. Engine lugs a bit even at the full 4000 RPMs. My feeling is that whoever wrote the manual never has ridden the bike! Why would they think lugging a new engine is good for it?

Any comments?

-Don- Reno, NV

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I feel your pain. Breaking in my 2015 was torture. The engine doesn't even like being ridden under 4500 rpm, and is much happier above 5000. My dealer's service manager (a real old timer) told me it's totally fine to run it up to 5500 for break-in. And of course there are some who adhere to breaking in engines in similar to race engines. Mine loosened up quite a bit at about 900 miles, after which I felt OK about revving it without limits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually really enjoyed the initial break in below 4K. It forced me to ride lots of curvy back roads and stay off the interstate. On a twisty mountain road the 650Lt is still lots of fun at 4K (<50mph). The second half of the brake in below 6k (<75) allows freeway riding and you can really get to know your bike in the twisty stuff. Actually I don't ride much over 6K even now, with 1500+
sMiles on my 650LT.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
When I buy a new bike, I do break in drills around neighborhood (curvy country roads). The 650 is fine under 4000 in the 1st 3 gears. I knock out 100 miles a day getting used to the bike, a lot of acceleration and engine braking.
Some just ride it.

I think a lot of those words are lawyer speak also. Same RPM on a logoff different bikes regardless of power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel your pain. Breaking in my 2015 was torture. The engine doesn't even like being ridden under 4500 rpm, and is much happier above 5000. My dealer's service manager (a real old timer) told me it's totally fine to run it up to 5500 for break-in. And of course there are some who adhere to breaking in engines in similar to race engines. Mine loosened up quite a bit at about 900 miles, after which I felt OK about revving it without limits.
That's what I discovered too. IMO, what is more important is to vary the speed a lot, the max RPM, IMO, should be around half of redline for most riding during the first several hundred miles. But IMO, the 4K limit is ridiculous and perhaps even harmful to the engine during break-in. And the book never even mentions to vary the speed.

I normally believe what I read in owner's manuals, but I thought that 4K limit was not even reasonable. Going by the owner's manual in this case, one could lug the engine full time at a steady speed by the way it reads. I agree with your service manager.

Anyway, I now have 600 miles on my Versys and I just changed the engine oil and filter. I was surprised that the oil filter can be purchased at the local auto store (KN303).

-Don- Reno, NV

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Don any chance when you spin on your next filter of opening that one up? I'd like to see what's inside a K&N filter and how well they're constructed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts