RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, bet you don't know this one (but you'll probably guess).

Which brand of motorcycle has been in production longest (hint: it's _not_ HD)?
:)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our honored boardmaster wins. :)

But check this out, we went for a walk the other night and this is what was parked on the pavement ...

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
When I was stationed in Germany (many moons ago) I remember seeing some really old iron one time. I don't remember if it was just a display or a museum or what, but there was some really neat old bikes and there were quite a few "Beemers" in the lot. There were also some Chec made bikes.... it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Scott,
Aris has a single-cylinder BMW. Let's get him here to identify the model you saw.

·
Registered
965 Posts
For the inquiring minds...

The bike that Scott saw is a BMW R25/3, manufactured between 1953 and 1956, 47700 were made.
The owner has added a deep sump. These were aftermarket parts sold by BMW. The deep sump helps on long rides as it contains more oil, and provides better cooling .

It's the previous model to mine and it's even slower!

Aris

·
Registered
843 Posts
From the BMW web-site
The 1910s. What would eventually become the Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) began as two separate companies. Gustav Otto's Flugzenmaschinenfabrik (Airplane Factory) in Munich merged with Karl Rapp's Flugwerke Deutschland on March 7, 1916 to become the Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (Bavarian Airplane Works). Initially specializing in the design and manufacture of airplane engines, the company would manufacture for Germany's fledgling air force, including the Baron von Richthofen, better known as the Red Baron.

HD and Husqvarna have both been around since 1903??

How does this make BMW the oldest motorcycle still in production?

·
Registered
965 Posts
HiG4s said:
HD and Husqvarna have both been around since 1903??

How does this make BMW the oldest motorcycle still in production?
Reread Jarel's answer. He didn't say it was BMW, but Royal Enfield.
Of course this could also be debated, as the Indian firm was called 'Enfield India' until recently, and then changed to the original British brand name 'Royal Enfield'.
If the question was 'Which brand of motorcycle has been in production longest without changing name' or something, the correct answer could have been different.
But I'm not going there :)

Aris

PS: The boss of Enfield had said 2 years ago that there were plans to produce the Interceptor (2 cylinder engine). Maybe Scott who met him has any news?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts