RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Breakaway Cruise Control

I have one installed on my Yamaha 1300T. Works great. Looks great. It's a trick device and made me the envy of my friends. Just a tap on the brake lever disables and a quick poke with the thumb activates it.

Easy enough to install. OK, I'm a little dorky, so I had to call them, but then, the "Big Duh" hit and it went smooth. You know...a Caveman can do it. I saw one somewhere for $165, I believe and that's less than I paid over a year ago.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It goes on easy enough but adjusting it is a pain in the ***. I played with it for an hour or 2 riding and adjusting it, riding and adjusting. I have it where it will hold speed for a couple of minutes and then starts slowing down. Thats ok for me I just use it to give my hand a break, it's not cruise control.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, for me, it's easy to adjust. I had it too loose and now, just right. I've set the tension so that I can still change the throttle setting (faster/slower) and NOT release the lock. Just an easy twist and it's reset. One thing to keep in mind is going uphill, your bike will slow down. Downhill, it speeds up. So, there still is some adjusting to do as you ride. But, you can make all the adjustments in your garage w/out taking it out to try it, I found.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Break Away

This was by far one of the best $200 mods to my bike!!! I will put one on any bike that doesnt have electronic cruise!!!

ADJUSTING, ADJUSTING, ADJUSTING!!!
By far the biggest pain in the A$$ but once its all set up and working great it just needs a little bit of oil so the throttle will snap back to idel. The latch underneth will need to be adjusted so you can easily lock it down. When i said easily i mean a light touch of your thumb, if you dont then it will be one of the hardest things to set, and it wont completely lock.
DO NO LET THIS DETER YOU FROM BUYING IT!!!
Not only is this a great feature while you are riding but with the safety feature of appling the breaks and the lock comes off, it gives you that piece of mind!!!

BUY IT!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
so does anyone have a pic of it installed on there bike? I have major shoulder issues and it would be nice to be able to let go for more than a second. . .

·
Registered
54 Posts
here are some pictures

·
Registered
54 Posts
more pictures

This system will come with an instruction book but it was hard for me to use and it took a long time for me to actually understand how to get it fully working. Also the best way to set the system up is to have the lock engaged!! If you set it while its unlocked it will not work as it should and cause a lot of head aches!! It will take a lot of adjustment before perfection but don't give up.

THE SCREWS WILL STRIP EASILY so be careful!!!

Any thing else ask. this add on will be well worth it!!!

****the green words, TOP PIC ::: This is what locks the system. DO NOT TOUCH THESE SCREW!!! ::: *****

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Brakeaway cruise control is expensive but excellent. I looked at a lot of different types but Breakaway sold me on safety and the speed of releasing it. Even their button release is faster than rotating a knob on the end of a grip on a sport bike. Add in the front brake release and I feel a lot safer using it. Rather than writing pages about it here is a review link I like:

BrakeAway Cruise Control Review | RoadStarMagazine.com

The attached pictures show the 7CP01 installed on a 2010 Honda Fury with Kuryakyn Iso Grips. It was designed for most metric cruisers. The 7CP02 (for 7/8 in bars) is installed on a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650 with ProGrip 719 RVGS Gel Grips.

It took 3+ hours to install the first one on the Fury as making one adjustment would effect all the others. Nor did the heat in the garage help my concentration. The instructions are excellent but that doesn't mean a first time installer understands them completely. Thus it took some hands-on for me plus reading the instructions to come up to speed. I also rechecked it the next day just to make sure that I got it right.

The second one for the Ninja went on in 30 minutes with most of the time just tweaking the brake release to the "sweet spot" where it disconnects the unit before the front brake is actually applied. Too close and the unit won't engage. Too far and there is too much brake lever travel before engaging. I found slightly rotating the brake lever position versus trying to adjust the Breakaway to the lever works a lot better. Wish I had known this on the Fury!

Another important adjustment is getting the set screws on the inserted collar that fits your grip evenly applied. Too tight or more pressure on one versus the other and the deformed collar will prevent the unit from releasing the throttle. The instructions stated use 1/2 turns but I found 1/4 turns more effective on the Ninja. Once that is properly set the unit may not hold the grip position depending upon the tension your throttle has. The Ninja had more than the Fury. There is another larger set screw on the main body to adjust this including your preference for your desired tension rotating the throttle when it is engaged. Once everything is properly adjusted they are locked in place and work as designed every time.

I went for the Brakeaway on both bikes so operation is the exactly the same. No thinking required. Ever drive a pickup with a column shift then get in a car with a console shift and reach for the non-existing column shift? I don't need "oops" like that especially riding motorcycles.

Finally cruise controls on a motorcycle can be dangerous and still requires one to be completely in control at all times. Even the best cruise control is useless if you are an idiot. Here's a link to one:

Another Harley Crash - "I'm gonna lock the throttle lock" - YouTube

Regards

7CP01_Fury.jpg 7CP02_Ninja650.jpg

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
For my money....it's hard to beat the look and performance of the Throttlemeister It works well without impeding the grip and gives the added benefit of a handlebar weight..which has a nice damping effect on handlebar vibration. It works similar to the Vista Cruise on my KZ. I have used those for decades with no issues. Unfortunately it's not available for these bikes...which may mean switching to something like the one you're talking about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did look seriously at the Throttlemeister...Almost bought one. Nor is it cheap! It is well designed with many options per desired looks. But after riding the Fury with the Breakaway and seeing they added a sport bike version it was a no brainer to me. A personal preference. Still I thought why don't they make it in black to match? But since the brake lever is shiny I didn't think it would matter much.

Meanwhile the Brakeaway is so much faster releasing it than the Throttlemeister. Given the hours we might spend on our bikes on a long trip I'm more comfortable with the Breakaway. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If you have kury iso grips, consider the throttle assist. Looks great,works great. Easy to use.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EDj0xiqUU1k
I have looked at a few cruise control type options. Seems to me if you have to "do something" to shut the throttle off .... that could become a problem.
In a 'panic stop', I don't want to be having/needing to think about shutting the throttle off ...... I'm just going to be hitting the binders out of habit/training.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have looked at a few cruise control type options. Seems to me if you have to "do something" to shut the throttle off .... that could become a problem.
In a 'panic stop', I don't want to be having/needing to think about shutting the throttle off ...... I'm just going to be hitting the binders out of habit/training.

Just my :2cents:
All ya have to do is throttle down and it's off. Pretty easy

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
All ya have to do is throttle down and it's off. Pretty easy
Now, ... without the throttle lock, ..... do you turn the throttle down before hitting the brakes ? I don't, I just grab the brake.

Easy .... yes, ... instinctive, .... no .... at least not for me.

When someone pulls out in front of "you", your first reaction is to hit the brakes, not turn the throttle down ..... at least hitting the brakes is my first reaction.

IMO

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Now, ... without the throttle lock, ..... do you turn the throttle down before hitting the brakes ? I don't, I just grab the brake.

Easy .... yes, ... instinctive, .... no .... at least not for me.

When someone pulls out in front of "you", your first reaction is to hit the brakes, not turn the throttle down ..... at least hitting the brakes is my first reaction.

IMO
Keep in mind you're not suppose to use this kind if tool for long periods of time or in bad riding conditions,traffic road hazards etc,I use it to give my hand a rest when it gets crampy, not more than couple of minutes, so far not an issue with me, I can let go of the throttle for a few,but mostly my hand still on the throttle ,so yes I can throttle down when needed ,,the throttle is not 'locked'
And you can apply the brakes as well.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Everyone is free to ride how they feel is best suited for them.

Just for me turning the throttle back in not an instinctive reaction.

I just putting in my :2cents:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
04 Marauder
RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum
Rider forum is a community for motorcyclists including both street and track riders. Come in and talk about your favorite model.
Full Forum Listing