RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago i noticed my disc running a little thin.. (<4,0mm) and i started hunting for a replacement.
being a dutchman, i wanted a good, but cheap solution.
after much deliberation, reading up, googling, and so on… I came convinced that if Madhornets.com would endorse these Arashi (chinese) discs they were on to some decent quality and I ordered a pair (like those F***ing european brands should do too..) of front disc for 156 euro incl. shipping.
I had to pay 30,02 euros for customs (DHL express). I ordered them august 1, got them in on august 6th. They are "dropshipped" from China (see "From" details in the pictures).

The first impression is rather solid, putting them on somewere in the coming weeks (need to find some decent pad's).

·
Registered
324 Posts
they look cool, but... i wouldnt trust anything that iv bought unseen on the internet from china, and brakes are the one place were i would spend decent money on, coz i do enjoy being able to stop hahaha :D but i hope they work out for you, and i await your feedback from them

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will keep u all updated! Took my first step today, overhauled the master cylinder.... Next up... Calipers....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to be clear, i am going for the whole nine yards... disc, pads, seals in the calipers, and master cylinder...
I already had stainless steel pipes fitted when i got the bike.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I saw these on ebay too. They are priced at less than 50 percent of the galfer disks. Quite a substantial savings. Keep us updated.

Recently performed DIY brake maintenance on the brake calipers (cleaned and oiled the pistons)
New brake fluid and bled the brakes
Also, new semi-metallic brake pads...bought on ebay (probably made in China too since it costs only $28 for a full set of pads--front and back brakes). There is a big improvement (at least 30% by my rough estimate in braking power).

IMG_0784.jpg

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have bought the "metalic-sintered" made for "louis.de" (a lagre german store)... and I know my pistondust rings are on their way out... LITeRALY!! like bulging in a hernia.

on the quality of the product, i would suggest go and do a proper google search, visit (register) some brand specific forums and check the timelines (when was this remark about how great of bad this product is posted)...
I did this and found out that CBR and black bird riders are pleased with the arashi products.
So are some other dutch riders (all using bigger bikes than the ZR7.

Also found out that there are people that take this product and put i thru the most extreem of cercumstances, like repeated top stop to stand still emergency brakes in which they "test" this product... and find out it does not keep up... (it warps), but will not do the same test to Galfers or EBC or BREMBO... i don't understand that. specially when they DO post and trash the chinese product openly...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And... its done!
all back together, just getting the last air bubbles out now...
1 caliper was clearly overhauled recently, the other one was clearly not....
all together it is a possible to do this in a night, if you have the tools and all goes well :) otherwise... a saturday will probably be better ;))

·
Registered
114 Posts
Those rotors are gorgeous! I'm jealous. I had to replace my rear rotor and had to go with a round, boring, stock-looking thing because of an empty wallet. Enjoy! Let's see a photo of them on the bike.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The thing with Chinese products is the quality can vary from brand to brand, but they are all roughly the same price. The good thing is that you did your research before buying and looks like you have some picked up some decent rotors. There are alot of ppl out there, especially in the sportsbike world, where brand name is everything but that's more of an image thing. (look at me I have brembo's, lol)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Wado750, you are absolutely right, that is why i chose to go for Madhornets (and their website). They do ship straight from China, but it feels slightly more secure to go with the american website.
Pictures on the bike will follow soon.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Why do my replies end up somewhere half way down the thread? and now i look really silly, as these two posts are now next to each other at the bottom of the page... :S

@Wado750, you are absolutely right, that is why i chose to go for Madhornets (and their website). They do ship straight from China, but it feels slightly more secure to go with the american website.
Pictures on the bike will follow soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those brake rotors belong on a Ninja! Kawasaki should incorporate their design! They look like throwing stars (aka shuriken) :D

shuriken_coasters2.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
^bump

·
Registered
212 Posts
Also found out that there are people that take this product and put i thru the most extreem of cercumstances, like repeated top stop to stand still emergency brakes in which they "test" this product... and find out it does not keep up... (it warps), but will not do the same test to Galfers or EBC or BREMBO... i don't understand that. specially when they DO post and trash the chinese product openly...
I realize this is an old thread but since someone bumped it, I'll add to the comment.

The most extreme circumstances when it comes to brakes is racing, not some guys going out testing emergency braking. Walk around the paddock at a race and see what those guys are using. You'll see the brands you claim don't get bashed. When it comes to the performance of brake rotors, there's more to it than the shape of the rotor. The composition of the metals being used and the manufacturing process will play a big factor in the performance of the rotor.

The concern I would have about Chinese rotors is if the manufacture adheres to standards like ISO certification. You may have 2 identical looking rotors which could be vastly different in their performance or reliability due to the source metal or production process (think tempering of the metals).

I had a hard time pulling the trigger on a set of Galfer rotors for my track bike. I heard people rave about them but I saw them as simple metal disks. I mean, how much difference could they really make over the stock rotors. Let's just say, I was a believer by Turn 3 on my out lap and this was before the pads (same old pads) were bedded in to the new disks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi to all.
I need to prepare my bike for the new season so i have to buy new disk brakes and pads.
The old rottors ware TRW Lucas ,and the pads i do not know.
After the last experience with chinese parts that last 5000 km for 150 € i want to buy the rght stuff.
I am not doing racing driving ,i drive to work and back 40 km every day and some km in weekend.
So what brand showld i look for?
I am looking for a reliable rottor the same as TRW(they lasted 38000 km) but cheaper.
If there is not something else then TRW wil do.
Last year i drove with the chinese rottors until they started to seriously vibrate , then i stopped and looked for better parts
but winter came and i stopped the search.
I wonder if i have to change the front bearing olso when i put new rottors and pads.
Best regards Paul.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
:bling:EBC is a quality manufacturer, among others. But, I'm not sure what pricing/availability is like "over there" where you are though. "Shakey" is "our guy" over in the E.U., so maybe he will chime in with his opinion and expertise? (he's a humble (but extremely wealthy) ZR7 owner in the U.K. who often buys extravagant parts for his bike) LOL

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
:bling:EBC is a quality manufacturer, among others. But, I'm not sure what pricing/availability is like "over there" where you are though. "Shakey" is "our guy" over in the E.U., so maybe he will chime in with his opinion and expertise? (he's a humble (but extremely wealthy) ZR7 owner in the U.K. who often buys extravagant parts for his bike) LOL
hahaha wish I was wealthy , I keep spending my money, but hey you cant take it with you.
Most stuff on my bike didn't cost a lot, the Nitron shock being the most expensive part, but worth it.

EBC maybe the best bet for rotors. my Vipers are wearing out faster than i'd like so wont be getting those again.
I did have EBC pro-lites on my CBR6 , brilliant rotors, they quoted 30% more braking and I can believe it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts