RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see what people are using, i just brought my bike in for the recall part and they said i needed new brake pads, so i wanted to see what was recommended.

·
Registered
83 Posts
EBC

·
Registered
586 Posts
how many miles did you get outta the stockers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how many miles did you get outta the stockers
I'm just over 4,500... the mechanic said they are almost gone

Yup, and if you really want some bite
try the EXP's.
I have all EBC's on sale.
on sale? sounds good, i'll be hitting you up for a pair

just curious, which pads are meant for the 09? on your site, every time i click the 09/10 parts, it says coming soon. also what are my options?
thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm just over 4,500... the mechanic said they are almost gone

on sale? sounds good, i'll be hitting you up for a pair

just curious, which pads are meant for the 09? on your site, every time i click the 09/10 parts, it says coming soon. also what are my options?
thanks
that seems pretty low... could you snap a pic of what's left in the calipers...

·
Registered
586 Posts
whoa, i've got 11,500 on mine with some left.....i use mostly front brake.
5500 here and mine are brand new with some moderate twisty riding and brake use

·
Registered
540 Posts
holy moly... i'm going on 13k soon with still stock pads!

heavy twisties at that!! I use a lot of engine braking though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might want to check those yourself, its hard to believe that you need new pads after that few miles.
i did take a quick look at them, compared to the front ones and they are running pretty low. after riding today, i did figure i use the back brake almost all of the time as oppose to the front. i'm placing an order tonight, once i change them out, i'll get a pic up.. i'm assuming most people use the front brake?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The front brake gives you the most grip without locking up your tire. And more than 60% of your braking should be done with your front brakes. It's a little safer that way. Hence the two calipers in the front.

·
Registered
586 Posts
wait this is the rear brake??? are you dragging the brake... On all the bikes i've owned the fronts are usually trashed LONG before the rears, and almost always use both brakes.

and Ziggy is right most braking is done by the front brakes, something more like 80% front 20% rear... always braking on the rear is not the safest technique to learn.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
what avenger said: yep, front brakes provide 75-80% stopping power. as i mentioned earlier, i use the front brake more often, along with modest engine braking. i try to stay off the rear brakes as much as possible unless there's urgency to stop, then i'll apply both simultaneously.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the dealer is bending you over :ripped: . You bring your bike in for a free recall fix and they say you need new break pads at only 4,500 miles, typical dealer :jerkit:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wait this is the rear brake??? are you dragging the brake... On all the bikes i've owned the fronts are usually trashed LONG before the rears, and almost always use both brakes.

and Ziggy is right most braking is done by the front brakes, something more like 80% front 20% rear... always braking on the rear is not the safest technique to learn.
i did learn at msf that front does provide the greatest braking, but i guess i just brake early enough that i usually use the rear brake. .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts