RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the forums here and have been searching for the answers I need all around the internet. I made my profile today after lots of searching on your site to ask for help. Ive found lots of useful information here but still not what I need.

So, like the title says, I bought a basket case. A 2001 ZR-7 with 22k on the odometer. Got the bike for CHEAP because the kid that had it, took it apart and didnt know how to put it back together, so he bought another bike and pushed this one to the back of the shed.

I put it back together. New plugs, chain, sprocket, brakes, oil change and cleaned the carbs. The problem Im having is that the kid, apparantly, messed with the carbs himself and messed up the adjustments. I mean all the adjustments. So now I need to set the carbs back to base settings and start over. Im picking up a sync gauge tomorrow and already have and idea of how to do that, but the idle (i think) screws on the bottom of the carbs were turned all to different depts. One was locked all the way in, the others were some where between there and one was nearly all the way out. The bike wont idle and only trys to fire when the choke is all the way closed. Beyond that, it just spins over and wishes it could run.

So where do i find the base settings for the carbs? What should I do? Im pullin my hair out here. And any helpful tips or suggestions you guys have are more than welcome.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Assuming none of the idle screws and jets are damaged, blocked etc, screw them all in until they are closed (under light pressure) then back open by 2 full turns.
That will give you a good base point for fine tuning later on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It does not matter much, but I think you are talking about the mix screws. The idle is controled by one single common big knob, and the three on top are for synchronization, but I think Graeme undestood what you meant and what he said in previous post goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts