RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 650 is a 2013 model and has only 3k miles on it.

Anytime I go WOT or close to WOT (in any gear), the bike starts to bog about halfway through the RPM range. The bike keeps accelerating, but very slowly. On the other hand, if I go, say, half throttle or less, the bike will accelerate smoothly through the entire RPM range.

I have changed the air filter and the spark plugs, to no avail. You guys think this may be a fuel-related issue? Any suggestions on what to check and/or replace?

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Several things could cause this. Check your battery if is any good, check the connection to the battery as well, that it has good contacts. Next thing would be fuel filter is clogged, change the fuel filter, most likely it's inside the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several things could cause this. Check your battery if is any good, check the connection to the battery as well, that it has good contacts. Next thing would be fuel filter is clogged, change the fuel filter, most likely it's inside the tank.
Thanks! The battery is new(ish) and has good contacts. I'll for sure try changing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Doesn't look too good. Is there any rust in your tank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, there is possiblity that this stuff was from weld when they welded the tank and they didn't clean it completely. My buddy bought 2018 Africa Twin and he had this stuff in it. You would think Honda would have quality control on this, but they don't. So, look inside the tank and clean it as much as possible (ofcourse don't clean it with water), just use more fuel to splash it from side to side and get it out. Change filter, run it few hundered miles or 1k miles and than check fuel filter again, if dirty change it, but this is the only way to make it as clean as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses y'all.

Doesn't look too good. Is there any rust in your tank?
There's very light surface rust but nothing heavy or flaking off.

Anyways, I ordered a new filter. I'll update this thread with my results to help any future riders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone know how often your supposed to change the fuel filter? Mines a 2012 and still had the original rear brakes so I have my doubts that mines ever been changed and the previous owner had it sitting for awhile. How hard is it to get to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

So the filter finally came in! After giving the tank a quick cleaning, I popped the new filter in, reassembled the fuel pump and tank, changed the oil, and...

...the problem seems to be fixed!!

No more bogging. Power throughout the entire rev range. I only rode for 15 or so minutes so the sample size is small...but promising. I'll update this thread if anything significant happens.

Anyone know how often your supposed to change the fuel filter? Mines a 2012 and still had the original rear brakes so I have my doubts that mines ever been changed and the previous owner had it sitting for awhile. How hard is it to get to?
I'm unsure of the recommended maintenance interval. The filter is not exceedingly hard to get to. The fuel pump assembly is attached to the bottom of the gas tank. You then disassemble it to find the filter. Just remember to take pictures of everything so you know how to put all the wires and screws back together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts