RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stefan from BRS Suspension finished my SX today.

For the rear shock: Bitubo Mono "Performance" K100CLU31 (3 way adjustable)
front forks completely redone: Bitubo spring kit MK 42 + Bitubo Hydrualic fork kit KFORK056 kit

Bitubo Mono "Performance" K100CLU31
The original shock absorber provides the adjustment of the manual spring preload (with ring), and the adjustment of the hydraulic brake during rebound; is provided with slightly progressive spring, with a choice of soft rigidity in the initial part, but still suitable for the type of vehicle.
Our shock CLU31, with separate compensation tank, as well as offering a better chance of "personalization", thanks to all the regulations it is equipped with, it offers the convenience of the hydraulic spring preload, and has a stiffer spring in the initial part, giving a sportier stance, but still comfortable.
The hydraulic damping allows an initial braking similar to the original, but with the advantage of having a much wider range of adjustments, that allows you to adapt the suspension setting from the tourist driving to the more sporty.
The adjustable distance (compared to the standard which is provided, equal to 353mm) in a range of -2 / +8 m, allows you to customize the layout to suit your own driving preferences for both sporty and circuit use.

Dedicated to the bikes having some space problems on the upper attachment, the new CLU is the High Performance Mono shock for street bike.

The compensation tank is separated from the body, in order to get more free positioning, and is linked with a flexible hose for very high pressions, internally in non-deformable Teflon and externally in metal plait, in order to avoid pressure vibrations on the suspensions oscillations.

Technical features:
Nitrogen pressurized, with oil/gas separator aluminum floating piston in the separate compensation tank. 16mm diameter piston rod, with anti-friction treatment and high sliding bushing; upper and lower attachment heads in aluminum alloy worked by CNC machines from a single block.

Settings:

Length (range 8 mm)
Hydraulic Spring Preload (range 12 mm - 24 turns of the knob)
Double Compression (High Speed in 20 clicks and Low Speed in 24 clicks)
Rebound (24 clicks)
The final code "31" identifies the spring in Red colour (for Sport Bike), and the code "32" specified the spring in Black colour (for Touring/Classic Bike, in the photo)
Bitubo Hydrualic fork kit KFORK056 kit
The standard fork is adjustable for spring preload, in both legs in the rebound braking, but only one of two in compression braking; it is properly calibrated for a road or tourist usage.
With our hydraulic kit KFORK it was decided to give the opportunity to work with a wider range of hydraulic adjustments, both in compression and rebound damping; the basic calibration setup offers an hydraulic compression more substantial, offering stability even in braking to the limit and the sport / road usage of the vehicle.
Bitubo spring kit MK 42
The original springs have a spring constant adapted to a tourist use of the vehicle, however, to make the structure more consistent in sporty driving (and optimize it in the event of a possible KFORK mounted), were chosen springs slightly more rigid.
The installer will find fork slightly more sustained and controlled, and will be happy in the touristic but also in the sporty use.
Some pics :

BRS also installed new Brembo brake pads (front & rear)

Picking her up tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
The Bitubo stuff is gorgeous, some of the best looking I think. I've heard their stuff typically rides a little harsh out of the box. Can't wait to hear the ride report.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Bitubo stuff is gorgeous, some of the best looking I think. I've heard their stuff typically rides a little harsh out of the box. Can't wait to hear the ride report.
The suspension guy is official dealer for Ohlins, Wilbers & Bitubo. Is a racer & moto journalist himselve & does the suspension for a lot of topteams. He does rate Bitubo higher then Ohlins in most cases.

Can't wait to ride my baby again, should pick her up in 6:23 hours (counting down) :D

Anyway, it was a pleasure letting him work for me, I never saw such a passionate biker before.

He runs a popular moto photo blog too: BRS SUSPENSION WORKS......Put the Gas MoeFoe!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just arrived home from BRS.
Weather was very nice, so I did my usual 85 km twisties road (with some very bad road surfaces now) towards home.

First big surprise. getting on the bike ... bike stayed the same height (with the OEM suspension you drop a few cm's)

BRS told me to be careful in the beginning as the SX would behave very differently then normal.
All I can say is ... that it felt just PERFECT.
The bad roads ... I saw them, but I didn't feel them. A deep sewer lid in the middle of a long fast corner ... took it at +120 to test the effect (clear road), and I didn't move an inch of my line.

The rear suspension made the rear go up a bit, resulting in an even faster turn in. let's say +50% of the difference between a 50 & 55 rear tire.

Never before did my SX give me so much control & confidence, something I even immediately felt from the first km's.
Never before I got such a big smile on my face, on that specific route (which I've driven +100 times), and never before was that route in such a bad shape.
And never before I drove that hard on that route, while I normally take it always step by step after a new mod that redefines the characteristics of the bike.

Can't wait to drive her again.
The first results are way above my expectations.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Nice! How much was the total cost? (I probably don't want to know....)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit less then 1400 €, install included (+12 hours of work). Got a very good price !

It was above my initial budget, but I'm very glad I pulled the plug. There's a lot of extra nice stuff the bike does now, that I don't know for sure yet why, more miles will tell.

One of them is switching corners, this now goes a lot faster, bike feels more nimble.
I'm not sure yet why this is, but I'm sure it's there, as this now feels like a proper race bike in turns.
The 55 rear did major improvements on the initial turn in, and a good improvement going from one turn to another.
The suspension upgrade did a good improvement on initial turn in, but a major improvement going from one turn to another.
Is it because the rear is a bit higher or is it because the front forks don't pull in that much ?

I just checked my GPS logs ...
I drove slower on the straights, but an average improvement of +30kmh on the twisties ... and I was not feeling like I was pushing it at all, while I did this run a lot of times before when I was pushing it.
I was not trying to get a better time on this route AT ALL, I was just very surprised when I arrived 10 minutes earlier then expected.

The SX is so stable now, gives so much confidence, keeps its lines so good (fast long ones, and short slower ones) this is worth every €

Some improvements might be bad after thinking about it. I normally behave well on bad surface, now I just see it, but they don't feel dangerous (before they really felt dangerous). I hope my tires can keep traction on these roads.

I'm not experienced enough to give you a detailed breakdown of the improvements, but I'm sure that anyone who drives an SX, and does a test run on mine ... will immediately feel them & leave with a big smile on his face.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some more pics from BRS

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
You are describing the difference between really good suspension and mediocre (some would say crappy) suspension.

Stock suspension typically has springs that are too soft, too much high speed compression damping and not enough low speed compression or rebound. This makes the bike skip across sharp edged bumps and also makes the bike wallow during quick transitions. With better suspension the tires don't skip over sharp edged bumps and they stay in better contact with the road. During left/right transitions, more of the energy you put in is being used to change direction rather than being absorbed by all the excess movement in the too soft stock suspension. Sometimes the transformation is hard to believe, other times not so much so.

Suspension work is typically the first thing I do to any bike I buy but lately I have not been able to do so and it really bums me out. I am NOT used to having to live with stock suspension.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are describing the difference between really good suspension and mediocre (some would say crappy) suspension.

Stock suspension typically has springs that are too soft, too much high speed compression damping and not enough low speed compression or rebound. This makes the bike skip across sharp edged bumps and also makes the bike wallow during quick transitions. With better suspension the tires don't skip over sharp edged bumps and they stay in better contact with the road. During left/right transitions, more of the energy you put in is being used to change direction rather than being absorbed by all the excess movement in the too soft stock suspension. Sometimes the transformation is hard to believe, other times not so much so.

Suspension work is typically the first thing I do to any bike I buy but lately I have not been able to do so and it really bums me out. I am NOT used to having to live with stock suspension.
Thnx for the explanation !

This will be one of my first mods to any future bike too ... the difference is huge!
I was of the group the group that stated the 55 is the best mod, but I think I'll have to change my mind. (although the 55 is still the best mod price --> difference wise).

Stefan told me about the Bitubo fully active suspension too, they're finally limited on offer (around 3500 €).
Some crazy ****. Fully automatically adjusted suspension with electrodes that make the suspension oil more liquid / stiffer, 100 times per second it finetunes your suspension, combined with GPS, so it remembers your suspension on a certain location & improves it properly before you act (I was a bit suspicious about this one, but the idea is cool).

More info here on his blog:
BRS SUSPENSION WORKS......Put the Gas MoeFoe!: BRS>Bitubo ER / Active suspension!!

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
If I had the money, I woudl do the same mods. I might have to choose a brand thats more serviceable in the usa, but its needed. Plus, the bike has a chassis and engine worth investing in.

I went low budget on my shock and had Traxxion Dynamis revalve and re-sprign it. Its very good, especially considering where it came from. Having said that, the reworked shock is as good as the Penske I had on my sv650. The shock work did make the forks feel worse. Not bad, but certainly not what the should be. Being without a job might help in this situation. I now have the tiem to open these up and take a look. rebound is nto bad, for me, and the springs are fairly close to what I need.

As Squidlius said, though, the compression damping needs some work. If I can deal with compressing the fork springs, I'll see what some shim re-stacking and some good oil will do to these. I think the stock parts will work just fine, but the factory "one size fits all" settings are my issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You guys are really inspiring me to look deeper into the mysterious deep pool of suspension modification. I have had two tuning sessions with an expert suspension tuner (Dave Moss) and just got new tires again yesterday, and the bike feels phenominal now. I am not sure how much better it could get with new components. This discussion is giving me some clues, though.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
You guys are really inspiring me to look deeper into the mysterious deep pool of suspension modification. I have had two tuning sessions with an expert suspension tuner (Dave Moss) and just got new tires again yesterday, and the bike feels phenominal now. I am not sure how much better it could get with new components. This discussion is giving me some clues, though.
Thank gosh (for me) the stock suspension is not the worst I've seen.

If you ride the bike hard enough to find it's short comings, it can get a lot better with properly set up quality components.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
180 km of twisties in Luxemburg today ...

Getting used to the new setup, and loving it even more !

Did some very hard brake parts, to get some feel with the new Brembo pads, and the front suspension doesn't drop that much (very very big difference !), again much easier to turn in after hard braking.
Its "work in the fields" time and a lot of roads some had dirt on it. I had much more feeling when my rear tire started slipping on hard acceleration out of a corner then before.

Tested the Gopro 3 for the first time, might post some vids if I can remove the speed properly without too much waste of time :D

·
Registered
8,727 Posts

If you have the ability to talk to Dave Moss, it woudl be cool to see what he thinks the stock bike needs.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tested the Gopro 3 for the first time, might post some vids if I can remove the speed properly without too much waste of time :D
Crap, flies on vizor = ok, flies on GoPro after 1 min recording, in the middle of the lens = not ok !
Battery was dead on the part where you would notice it the most, going to do some recordings in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang! You have adjuster on your adjusters! :)
Small tube (lower one) with turn knob = hydraulic preload
Big tube (upper one), red screw = high speed compression (20 clicks)
Big tube (upper one), silver screw inside the red screw = low speed compression (24 clicks)
Bottom of the schock, screw = Rebound adjuster (24 clicks)
Bottom of the schock (big screw) = length adjuster

·
Registered
217 Posts
Small tube (lower one) with turn knob = hydraulic preload
Big tube (upper one), red screw = high speed compression (20 clicks)
Big tube (upper one), silver screw inside the red screw = low speed compression (24 clicks)
Bottom of the schock, screw = Rebound adjuster (24 clicks)
Bottom of the schock (big screw) = length adjuster
Lucky!..... Gosh! Have you taken it over any sweet jumps?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts