RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in the Sept 2010 issue of CYCLE WORLD MAGAZINE ( p. 66 ) where some presumably 'older' models of the CBR1000 and GSXR-750 wear out front tires VERY quickly.

Does anybody know what year(s) they are talking about and maybe some other bikes that also have a reputation for doing this? I am curious, as I don't want to buy a bike that goes through front tires at a rapid rate in the future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You generally will go through 2 front for every rear on just about any bike. If those for some reason seem to eat the front more, best to ask at cbrforum and what ever the gixxer forum is called.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
You generally will go through 2 front for every rear on just about any bike. If those for some reason seem to eat the front more, best to ask at cbrforum and what ever the gixxer forum is called.
That is the first time I have heard that, and I've been riding since 1980.

On sport bikes I usually wear the front and rear out at the same time. Touring bikes two rear for every front.
Dual sports with knobbys front wears first, with 50/50 tires rear wears first.
Cruisers rear wears first.
My Mean Streak cruiser which is ridden more like a sport bike. Both about even.
Standards I've had in the past, rear first.

I think a lot depends on where your ride and how much you twist the throttle and use engine braking. Twisties verses in town stoplight to stoplight. Interstate verses country lanes.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Touring bikes two rear for every front.
Yup, I'll vouch for that. I'm getting 20,000 miles out of the fronts and 10,000 miles out of the rears on my bike. On my ZR-7 I was getting 12,000 miles out of the fronts and 10,000 miles out of the rears.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Dang man are you riding stoppies for miles or somethin?
My fronts last almost twice as long as rears.

·
Registered
279 Posts
When I changed tires on my Z, the stock front tire was not in very good shape for only having less than 2K miles on it, not as bad as the rear, but bad enough to change.
I try to change both at the same time anyway though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Dang man are you riding stoppies for miles or somethin?
My fronts last almost twice as long as rears.
Nope normally riding, my fronts have never held up. Dont know if it was just bad luck with how i got the bikes tires as iv never owned a new bike. But been the case with the 650 and daytona. Street triple i have now just doesnt have enough miles to tell how its going to go. I heard that from other people as well so figured it was true. But yeah the front on my daytona looked like **** last tire change.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 650R and usually wear out the front tire 1000-2000 miles sooner than the back, about 8000 miles. I don't ride very hard :agree:
I have a 2006 650R and my first set of tires pretty much wore out together.

Thanks, I am not asking about anyone's personal experience -- as that can vary greatly -- but I am talking about motorcycles that have a bad reputation IN GENERAL for doing this.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
On the ZR, the front was done at about the same time as the rear on 5 different sets of tires.

·
Registered
929 Posts
are you sure you don't have that messed around? I have never heard or seen that to be the case. I always have to replace the rear twice before replacing the front. Kenda's on my 77 Kaw 1000, Kenda's on my '78 750 Honda, Shinko's on my Z1000, Michelins on my buddies Honda 919, Metzelers on my dads Goldwing, Dunlops on my other buddies BMW..... You see where i am going with this? If you are wearing out fronts faster than rears.... SOMETHING IS WRONG. Just my :2cents:

Use it, ignore it, or whatever.... I just felt better putting that out there

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you are wearing out fronts faster than rears.... SOMETHING IS WRONG. Just my :2cents:

Use it, ignore it, or whatever.... I just felt better putting that out there
Thats too broad a claim to make. It depends on where you live and how heavy you are on the throttle. Someone who lives near Deals Gap and is easy in the gas will wear tires different than someone in Indiana that likes to be jonny racer off the red lights. Since the front does all the work turning the bike. Its easy to see how some people wear fronts faster than rears. You cannot apply how you ride where you live to every situation. Not aimed at you Im just sayin

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is the first time I`ve ever heard of someone wearing a front tire before the rear. Except some goldwings that had a problem with tire ballance

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I replace fronts when they cup-out. They still out-last the rear.... 2 to 1 easy.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.