RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much every time I wash my bike, it wont start for awhile until it dries out. Where am I getting water where I shouldn't? Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I don't really know, but I'd guess maybe the air filter (into the throttle bodies), or maybe the plugs. Just a thought.

It happened to me the first time a couple of weeks ago. I've never had trouble starting right after washing, and I normally ride around a bit to blow it dry. This time I didn't & rode it right back into the garage; a couple of days later it was a PITA to get it started but eventually it caught.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
My guess is either its running down the tank and onto the connectors under the seat or its getting into the wiring harness in the back ofnthe headlight. I've never had that problem with the Streak but im sure someone her has and will chime in shortly. BTW, when i washed mine i stuffed a towel between the tank and the front edge of the seat to prevent excessive water getting under the seat. Then i used a leaf blower to get the standing water out of all the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
748 Posts
this had never happened to me on any bike ive washed are you using high pressure or what?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I need just a little more specific detail. Does everything else act right? Lights are lit, etc, but the starter doesn't fire? Or does nothing even light up like it would if the battery were dead? Or are you saying it cranks but won't turn over?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My guess is either its running down the tank and onto the connectors under the seat or its getting into the wiring harness in the back ofnthe headlight. I've never had that problem with the Streak but im sure someone her has and will chime in shortly. BTW, when i washed mine i stuffed a towel between the tank and the front edge of the seat to prevent excessive water getting under the seat. Then i used a leaf blower to get the standing water out of all the nooks and crannies.
I take my seat off and wash under it.. No I don't pour water under there but I don't protect the area either. I've never had a problem. When I had my S-2 exhaust on, when I wasn't looking my grandaughter filled the exhaust up with water. That was quite a show when I started it. :) LOL

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I would say plugs. Happens to me also. But lately I cover the plugs with alum foil and been good so far.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need just a little more specific detail. Does everything else act right? Lights are lit, etc, but the starter doesn't fire? Or does nothing even light up like it would if the battery were dead? Or are you saying it cranks but won't turn over?
It just turns over and wont start, not dead battery or anything.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and heres a few reasons to not leave your damn ignition to on and then go inside and leave it for a few hours in your driveway to dry out. lol First someone can steal your bike and second it kills the battery lol DOH!! Ya I'm good! On charger now!

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Ok Bro..Next time this happens, pull the outer cover off the cadamnn to get direct air to the throttle bodies.

OR

Section to bike into 4ths then spray on the first 4th. Try to start.. Move on to next then repeat

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Ok Bro..Next time this happens, pull the outer cover off the cadamnn to get direct air to the throttle bodies.

OR

Section to bike into 4ths then spray on the first 4th. Try to start.. Move on to next then repeat
OR... Just clean the whole bike with Lemon Pledge & skip the water altogether. Only water my bike sees is an unexpected rain storm..
I've been using pledge & a shop rag on ALL parts of my bike for a couple years now & get comments about how clean it is often.. :2cents:

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
OR... Just clean the whole bike with Lemon Pledge & skip the water altogether. Only water my bike sees is an unexpected rain storm..
I've been using pledge & a shop rag on ALL parts of my bike for a couple years now & get comments about how clean it is often.. :2cents:
I'll have to try that sometime. Dont have any in the house though

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was way too dirty for that, love bugs all over and just plain dirty from no wash for awhile. Will have to try that pledge out!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Pandemonium....one thing you can do with open air is take a grocery store plastic bag and wrap it around your air filter, then take a rubber band and slip it over to seal the bag on the TBI...it works fine to keep moisture out. I rarely ever take a hose to mine, but if I do, I keep the pressure real low and below the top areas of the bike. Crudcutter spray works real well for removing bugs, grime dirt, etc. just spray on the motor and other nooks and crannies rims, brake rotors, let soak for a minute, then rinse off and blow dry! I am cautious of using my leaf blower though....the thing blows at 195 mph....tooo fast! I use the air nozzle on my compressor at 100 psi....works real well drying the motor off between the cooling fin rays. Also, Costco the club store here in town has these huge bundles of micro cloth soft rags for around 15 bucks a set and are re-washable. They are great for polishing tins, I use any of the spray polishes available at the local stealership. Right now I am using the Suzuki brand, Kawasaki or any of them are great.....and leave a deep lusty lustre on the painted and chrome bits.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Avoid spraying the plugs directly.

its happened to me before. I took the plugs out and dried the chamber, plugs, & boot with an air hose.

started right up afterwards.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts