RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I have 2006 650r that im having problems with. The bike will start, but then after a second or two it simply dies. It will start back up again but the same things happens. When it dies, the fuel pump kicks on, so im guessing this is a fuel issue but not sure. No FI light on or anything.

Things ive tried:
Replaced battery with a bigger one out of my buell - same thing
Checked connections under tank

Could it be the vehicle down sensor? I found in the service manual in the fuel system chapter how to inspect it but it makes no sense. Says I have to check the voltage while the sensor is connected, how do i do that?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't seem to be the filter. I found a thread on how to do it. My plugs are pretty black so I'm going to replace them.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
It is funny to me too Sentra, "same old". Alot of these threads are really close, not saying I wouldn't start one if I couldn't figure it out though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
No FI light (or FI codes). Hmmm, could you try raising the idle (using the adjuster screw) to 2000rpm? If it runs fine, then we rule out the ECU.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Oops, I overlooked your bike is a MY2006 non-Europe model, ergo no oxygen sensor. So, your ECU is probably good.

When I was a kid (and still am), I had a nitro RC car with the same problem. The engine starts up fine and is getting the right air/fuel mixture. After a few seconds, the engine starts to run rich and slowly stalls. Solution: manually adjust the idle air/fuel mix needle. Bikes with oxygen sensors compensate for the right air/fuel mix (no need for manual adjustments).

If you roll-on the throttle, does the engine stall? If the engine doesn't stall, then your bike probably has an idle air/fuel mix issue. Did you check your air filter? Needs cleaning, perhaps?

p.s. Could you give us a little history of the bike? Did you buy it brand new? Is the bike stock or did you put on some performance mods?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oops, I overlooked your bike is a MY2006 non-Europe model, ergo no oxygen sensor. So, your ECU is probably good.

When I was a kid (and still am), I had a nitro RC car with the same problem. The engine starts up fine and is getting the right air/fuel mixture. After a few seconds, the engine starts to run rich and slowly stalls. Solution: manually adjust the idle air/fuel mix needle. Bikes with oxygen sensors compensate for the right air/fuel mix (no need for manual adjustments).

If you roll-on the throttle, does the engine stall? If the engine doesn't stall, then your bike probably has an idle air/fuel mix issue. Did you check your air filter? Needs cleaning, perhaps?

p.s. Could you give us a little history of the bike? Did you buy it brand new? Is the bike stock or did you put on some performance mods?
If I give it some gas it will rev up a little and then just completely die in a heartbeat, no slow stall or anything. Its bone stock, 6000 miles or so. My friend had it but barely road it and it had thecoolant leak from the water pump so I fixed that.

I have not checked the air filter but I have tried starting it without the airbox and still dies. Im thinking the fuel/air is off like you mentioned. Didnt even know you could bad just that on fi bikes.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't know you could run the engine without the airbox. I learned something new today. :)

So, yep, CALLING SMASH! Someone needs your help here.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't know you could run the engine without the airbox.
If you do the Vacuum Synchronization, this is beneficial. It will throw the FI light though unless you keep the air box in the area for the connection.

To the OP,
Were you able to change the spark plugs yet? Cleaning the air filter is a good idea either way. Is it usually your daily rider and this happened? I assume you didn't just get it from your friend. I guess I am trying to get at potentially bad fuel also. If you have had it for awhile though then it may not be a dirty fuel system, suggesting Seafoam.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It sure sounds like something is either cutting out the spark or fuel delivery. I can't say for certain it's the cause but you might try checking the relay box. There's a test procedure in the electrical section of the service manual. It can be replaced cheaply via ebay if needed.

It shouldn't be the air filter if it ran without the airbox. Cleaning it never hurts though. At the other end, is the exhaust clear? Maybe something built a nest in there. You could disconnect the muffler and run with headers only to verify.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Any luck? I was hoping is was something simple. I assume you are buell2 also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Kawasaki zr750 has the same exact problem can't figure it out. But I took my carburetor off it ran fine before that I'm thinking maybe the hose fuel hoses. IDK help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds crazy but wheres the fuel tank go into the carb at the middle BACK low nossel or the two top on each side nozzles? Please reply

1 - 20 of 20 Posts