RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a 2014 400r, it should be running slightly cooler than a 650r but it gets so damn hot, generally near the engine cases.

I understand the cases getting hot should be normal but this is waaaaay hotter than normal, even the mech says so.

My tank itself gets hot, even riding around at night.

A short 10min ride back home and the fan kicks in so I think the fan is working fine.

Any ideas what I should be checking out?

Also, my bike's fuel consumption seems quite bad for a 400, I'm getting 18-19kmpl (~42mpg) no matter if i'm cruising on the highway or riding around town.

Things i've done recently are an oil change with an oil filter change (2.2L, full syn), new tyres, new wheel bearings.

Valve clearance/coolant flush/drivetrain replacement was done in early 2021, less than 5000kms ago.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
I don't even know where to start with this.

Why do you think a smaller bike should run cooler. Engine size and operating temps donnt have much to do with each other. If anything, the small engine may run hotter since it doesn't have as much power. For any speed, it's working harder that a larger engine would

It sounds like your fan turns on, and then off. That's normal. The bikes ecu manages engine temperature and holds that temperature in a fairly small area. Somewhere in the area of @208-212degrees......normal. As long as you don't see a high temperature warning, you are ok.

What should you check? It sounds like you did a good job on the bikes maintenance, but it doesn't sound like you studied your owners manual. Check that. It will alleviate most of the problems you think you have.

Assuming your bike is stock, if you want better fuel efficiency, slow down. It takes a lot of energy to push a motorcycle through the air.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
見る
2,936 Posts
I agree with RC ^^^

Bear in mind that the 400 has all the same running gear and weight as the 650, but is 250cc less. So to haul all that weight around the engine has to work harder.

Also, I had a 2015 650 and the fairing channels all the hot air from the engine upwards - towards the tank and the rider.

I found it a hot bike to ride, especially in traffic.

I know that this is an obvious question....but. Since you had the coolant changed a year ago, have you been monitoring the level in the auxiliary tank to make sure the level is up to spec?

The less than ideal fuel consumption can also be partially attributed to the weight of the bike.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
I'm just lucky you dont fine me 5.00 for every typing error. Guys, I'm sorry for my errors. I'm not as dumb as they make me look. Close.

I had to Google search his bike. It really is a 400cc version of the Ninja 650. How cool is that, so to speak.

Before Ivan flashed my Concours 14, I was in a town not far from Las Vegas, Nevada. Mid summer. The temp was 105. I used my infared gun on the blacktop. It said 145.

I had also added this "insulation kit" which was the most foolish accessory I ever bought. It blocked the heat that would be thrown on your feet. That idea is awesome, but the heat goes somewhere. Right into the tank. I finally pulled over to Google search. "What temperature does gasoline explode at" as well as "boiling point of gasoline"

I mention Ivan's flash because he is able to set up a motorcycle without having to worry about emissions. When he's finished, the bike doesn't have the lean spots in the low rpm area like a stock machine has. He also changes the fan on/off temperature. A 105 degree day is still hot, but I don't have to make reservations in the burn unit, or have to worry about my unit being burned off.

His tuning is amazing, but the reduced running temps are much appreciated.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies @rc and @oz.

Just finding it a little bit strange, coming from a DRZ which has mods and always pushed hard, to have better fuel economy than this.

I'm not pushing this bike too hard, tried city riding and almost pure highway usage, it's about the same 18kmpl..

Also, the heat thing is just kinda weird, i rode a honda cb400 inline 4 for lessons, so really slow speeds in a hot stuffy enclosed space, the heat was just slightly more than this ninja, and the ninja gets ridden day/night thru traffic, highways with air flowing all the time.

I'll look into the ECU tune in a few weeks when I get to a shop that does that kinda thing! Kawasaki's arent to popular here with bad aftersales support etc.

Can i also ask, i'm getting some bogging when moving off, especially if i crack the throttle just a wee bit, like trying to move from stop lights, between 1-3k rpms, what should I take a look at first? It kinda seems like a poorly tuned carb with some clogged pilot jet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts