RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike won鈥檛 start when pushing start button. It kills all the power and battery charge drops. I recharged the battery and it鈥檚 holding over 12.7 volts. Don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 the ignition switch, the switch button it鈥檚 self, the stator, etc. Any advice on how to diagnose this??? Thanks I鈥檓 advance. You can see what happens in the video.

:cry:

Registered
It could be the battery. Just because it holds over 12v it may not have the cranking amps. Can you boost the bike while trying to turn it over? If not take the battery to a local auto place and have them load test it.

Was it running ok before? What happened between when it was running and now? Does it have a security key fob?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure about the key, but I am going to try today with the other key I have which I've never used since I bought the bike brand new back in 2012. The bike was running fine. I went to work and back home one day, the next day I went to the gas station and when I tried starting the bike back up, the electronics barely turned on. I thought it was the battery so I called for a jump. When the bike was jumped it started for a few seconds and then all the electronics starting flashing like crazy and cut off again then when I turned the key nothing. I got it towed home and put the trickle charger on it. The next day I turned the key and everything turned on, but when I pushed the start button it killed all the power and I heard a clicking noise from around the ignition key area. I'm doing research now on how to diagnose the electronic system and try to eliminate possible causes. I definitely want to check to make sure the battery is good or not before I start ripping into everything else. Any other steps I should take? I'm doing research on how I can check things like the stator and rectifier, not sure if I have to take these things off to check them or if I can do them while they are still on the bike. Thanks again for your help. Truly appreciate it.

Registered
How old is the battery? Not that it matters as I've had a new Yuasa go bad in one year. I wouldn't troubleshoot the charging system without a new battery. Be sure the battery cable lugs are clean--like hit them with some fine sand paper and clean the debris.

瑕嬨倠
I'm inclined to agree with the other posters - seems like a dead battery. As Obo said, a bad battery can hold a 12V charge but might not have the amps to crank the bike. Take the battery to a shop and have it tested. From my experience a majority of starting problems usually start with the battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went to Harbor Freight and bought a load tester. I hooked it up to the battery and when I hit the switch...it went to the yellow WEAK portion of the tester :cry: I bought a new batter and installed it and the bike started up. I road her to work today and back home with no problem. I do however want to do a full test on my charging system i.e. stator and regulator rectifier. I have the service manual and will look up some videos on how to do this since I've never done anything like this. I just want to my sure the system is running correctly. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Registered
Yes, initially check the charging system holistically--not by individual components. If you are getting 14+ volts dc at the battery terminals with the engine at an elevated idle, go riding. If it's only around 12 volts +/- it might be an indication that more inspection is needed. Let us know what you observe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts