RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I'm chris from Netherlands i own a 02 mean streak
this is my first question
I would like to know whether someone's has increased his tank and whether it is possible
:FIREdevil

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
No one so far. I'm hoping to build a secondary tank this winter to go where the old catalytic converter from the stock exhaust went. It will be annoying to figure out the fuel pump situation but otherwise its mostly some bending and welding.

As far as trying to enlarge the original tank I think that would be much harder to do and have it look right. It would involve fabricating a whole new tank which is beyond my tools and skills. And getting someone to do it would be well over $1K plus paint costs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Instead of adding an aux tank, or fabbing the current one, what about a swap with another Vulcan???? I'm curious also. SHL

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Well the nomads and classics have different tank mounts, fuel pumps, tank bezels etc. The frames are very different too. As far as I know there's nothing that is swappable and I've been trying to find something for 2 years. I was hoping gmanindustries was going to come out with their extended range tank but they had too much trouble with the fuel injection systems because of our in-tank pumps. They only offer it for carb'd classics.

My plan would be to have a similar tank but 3 lines: vent, fuel up, and fuel dow.n
Unfortunately it means I'd need 2 pumps and I have to weld onto the stock tank for 3 bungs.

It should work fine but they couldn't do it that way because of the welding to your stock tank. It also gets a bit more expensive with 2 micro fuel pumps. I want to do it that way though because injected vehicles can be fickle about fuel pressure so I want to retain the stock pump to do the actual feeding of the engine. Otherwise you risk trouble lights and rough running. I also trust the stock pump more than something aftermarket. So this way if one of the 2 micro pumps fail my stock pump and range are fully intact.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
And the nomad/classic capacity is 5.3 versus our 4.5 gallons. So its not a big difference but our issue has more to do with being able to fill it fully as well as what gets left in the tank. The pumps are liquid cooled so they leave some in the tank at all times for cooling purposes.

You can try tricking the system by extending the pickup line slightly but you run the risk of drastically reducing pump life so I don't recommend it. A new pump is $450, ouch. Plus you have the joy of being stranded without a part that will invariably be out of stock and have to be shipped from Japan. Not something you want to have happen in the middle of a long distance ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the bubble :mad: burst ??????????

wel that brings me to the question: is the tank dubbel wal or single wal :buttkick:

greetings chrissi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have the time to enlarge the tank now
but i want to repaint the bike anyway after next bike season

butt if i lower the front end two inch (cut a wedge shape) and broaden two inch

how much fuel wil i gett anybody 'n idea :worthless

ps:sorry for my :ithank:english

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
The best way to enlarge the tank IMO is the same way they enlarge metal fenders. Cut it in half and weld a strip of metal to raise the height of the tank.

I don't know why you would want to enlarge the tank though. I am looking for a break at 100 miles for sure on this bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are two reasons

the first making the bike one of a kind

the second is that i like to hobby

the bike is gonna be painted annyway next year

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Once I changed the bars I could do 200 miles easy before needing a stretch. I also have a removable drink holder so I can stay hydrated. Plus I'm always "that guy" who has to stop first and have a lot of range anxiety on long trips. I'd be happy with a steady 150 miles before the light goes on. Stopping every 90-100 makes a trip take forever.

·
Registered
294 Posts
On a good ride I can go an easy 110miles+ before the light goes on - I have only pushed her to 125miles and that is all the guts that I had and really didn't feel like pushing her. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once I changed the bars I could do 200 miles easy before needing a stretch. I also have a removable drink holder so I can stay hydrated. Plus I'm always "that guy" who has to stop first and have a lot of range anxiety on long trips. I'd be happy with a steady 150 miles before the light goes on. Stopping every 90-100 makes a trip take forever.
sitting for hours is no problem for my either diffrent bars plus a mustang seat
:alcy:

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only idea that I can think of for an auxiliary tank would be to mount a stainless container shaped similar to a hotbox where the goat belly was/is. Have low pressure transfer pump controlled by a latching relay (one that would stay on until ignition power was turned off or the tank was emptied. The latching relay would get it's signal from the low fuel light. When the aux. tank was emptied it would shut off the aux transfer pump by a normally open low pressure switch mounted at the outlet of the secondary tank that would open and cut voltage to the transfer pump when the aux. tank was empty. The fuel feed from the aux. tank could probably be connected to the fuel return line from the fuel rail back to the tank through a tee. Just an idea to throw at you guys.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't ride in groups much. But I do ride where gas stations are spread out. I have found myself riding miles out of my way to get gas to be sure not to run out while exploring new roads. One time I stopped for gas and put in .7 gallons just to be sure I would have enough.

I have a possible solution to eliminating a second fuel pump. If you could pressurize the aux tank using a small air pump and force a small stream of fuel up a vent line into the main tank to add more fuel to that tank when needed. You would do this when the low fuel light came on to be sure not to over fill the main tank.

A second fuel tank in the area of the goat belly would have a separate filler neck. Pressurizing that tank and forcing the fuel up in a small stream would be simple and safe. You could also drain the tank because you don't need a fuel pump in the tank. The only other thing I can think of is that you would have to vent the main tank cap to allow more air to escape.

What do you people think? Am I missing something? It seems workable.... Kind of like the old petcock reserve.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've come up w/ a simple solution! 2 gallon fuel can and a bungee strap... Strap it to your sissy bar and you gained an extra fuel tank w/o dong any modding to the fuel system. Lol. I used to do it all the time when I rode my klr650 b/c gas stations are very few and far between on forest roads.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
carvedup;648474/ said:
I have a possible solution to eliminating a second fuel pump. If you could pressurize the aux tank using a small air pump and force a small stream of fuel up a vent line into the main tank to add more fuel to that tank when needed. You would do this when the low fuel light came on to be sure not to over fill the main tank.

A second fuel tank in the area of the goat belly would have a separate filler neck. Pressurizing that tank and forcing the fuel up in a small stream would be simple and safe. You could also drain the tank because you don't need a fuel pump in the tank. The only other thing I can think of is that you would have to vent the main tank cap to allow more air to escape.

What do you people think? Am I missing something? It seems workable.... Kind of like the old petcock reserve.
I think all that would do would pressurize the air in the tank and greatly increase the risk of vapor lock. Not sure how it would push the fluid up. Also, you'd have to have a lot of pressure to get the fuel to go up in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Pressurizing the tank will push fuel up but by the time you add a means to pressurize the tank you might as well use a small fuel pump instead. "Facet" makes some neat small pumps, you'd need a a check valve in the line so the fuel only goes one way. I think you could tap into the fuel return line. The bigger problem might be how to fill your aux tank.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Yup, I actually have a couple facet pumps in mind. They have some with built in check valves so no need for additional units/expense. Most automotive check valves I researched required a higher pressure to open which the micro pumps couldn't achieve.

The filling is why I figured I needed a second pump. If the bike were carb'd it'd be a lot easier to do. People who put them on the rear luggage rack all have carb setups and only need a transfer pump to get it into the original tank. Either that or they T it into the original line and have a second pump of equal pressure that they have a valve similar to the old reserve tank switches.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A couple of years ago I read that GMan Industries was working on an auxiliary tank for the VN 1500/1600 FI. It would go where the goat belly was. I just went to there web site and they still don't have one available. Anyone know why? I'd buy one.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts