RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hope that type clutch comes with instructions. I just ordered one with a gasket.

·
Registered
644 Posts
All I can say so far is that thunder mfg is pissing me off. Can get a response to an email as to when or if I'm going to get the part.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
All I can say so far is that thunder mfg is pissing me off. Can get a response to an email as to when or if I'm going to get the part.
Ha! I had to laughat myself, read your post and thought "chill, it's only been 5 days or so and it's still winter" then I noticed your location and thought " sheet, he don't have winter".

I'm still collecting parts I want as much on hand as needed before I start to keep me moving. The only thing that will need to be ordered after breakdown is pistons and rings. I want to confirm bore, stroke, compression and such, as closely as possible before determining which piston to go with.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My buddy waited over a month and a half for them to send his intake cover which was a **** job. You can see the milling marks all over it. They just chromed over it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If I don't hear by the end of the week I'm cancelling and will order from turbo tech

·
Registered
644 Posts
Where's speed nowadays? Haven't seen him around?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
If I don't hear by the end of the week I'm cancelling and will order from turbo tech

I just spoke with Trent at Thunder, he said they shipped a couple yesterday or today. I think he said 4.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Cool. I'll call them tomorrow

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just have to figure out where it goes. I have it torn down and just have to lift the clutch off the shaft

·
Registered
644 Posts
Maybe a weds ship date

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm just starting to research this. Bang for buck being the biggest factor
I don't know a whole lot about a this but being a welder you want to becarfu leith the "bang for your buck" because that could possibly effect the metallurgy of the parts used I'm just putting my 2 cents in

·
Registered
644 Posts
I now know why thunder mfg doesn't answer the phone or online contact forms or emails. So people can guess as to if they've been ripped off and can't cancel their order.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have no idea why you've had such a hard time contacting them. I just spoke with one of the girls at Thunder moments ago. There is an order of Spring clutches being fabricated now, expected completion and receipt is next Thursday or Friday. She said my clutch was on the list to be fulfilled with this order. Sorry you seem to be caught in a struggle with this bro, just call them direct, I'm sure if mine is in the order, yours probably is as well. There can't be that many of those clutches in demand and lets face it the bike has been out of production for 8 years. It's not like there's a big demand for this type of part from anyone.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The manufacturer is on the other side of Phoenix from them. He says he has plenty in stock. At this point I'm thinking about taking a drive over there to pick one up from him and get a refund from thunder. As far as I'm concerned they're a lying pile.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've called several times too. Left messages et al

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Mcssls, I got a shipping confirmation with tracking number today from Thunder. You might want to check your email.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have essentially this kit but for a 1500. Here is what I came up with from my research. If you're still interested I have a pair of 1600 heads with some port work done for cheap that you can almost swap with your own instead of spending the $800+ for Thunders port work and waiting on them to get this done.

1 - People say this is how the bike 'should run' @ 95hp
2 - The cam they use produces too much compression and causes detonation
3 - The cam they use produces way to much low end torque and is essentially 'unusable'
4 - Cost per horsepower is high with this kit.I believe you're looking at $3k with parts, labor and port work.

But if you know anyone that wants some thunder 1500cc big bore kit pistons or some 1600cc slightly ported heads (which is where the power is) then I have both for sale.
if you still have any of this let me know.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts