RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have essentially this kit but for a 1500. Here is what I came up with from my research. If you're still interested I have a pair of 1600 heads with some port work done for cheap that you can almost swap with your own instead of spending the $800+ for Thunders port work and waiting on them to get this done.

1 - People say this is how the bike 'should run' @ 95hp
2 - The cam they use produces too much compression and causes detonation
3 - The cam they use produces way to much low end torque and is essentially 'unusable'
4 - Cost per horsepower is high with this kit.I believe you're looking at $3k with parts, labor and port work.

But if you know anyone that wants some thunder 1500cc big bore kit pistons or some 1600cc slightly ported heads (which is where the power is) then I have both for sale.

·
Registered
183 Posts
$1100 kit
$800+ porting
$800+ labor

Calculations show only a small increase in hp with 5 more cui and increase from 9:1 to 10:1.

The real power is in the headflow. $300 and you can have a complete set of 1600cc heads already cleaned up. you just need to lap the valves. Sell your current heads for the same price and its a wash. That was my plan at least.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
There are a set of 1500 Meanie complete heads/W cams for $300 shipped. There's your "bang for the buck" sir. GIT-R-DUN!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The 1500 cam is more aggressive so you lose some low end in exchange for the top end. My 1500 really comes alive at 3k but off idle seems like a lopey cam.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The 1500 cam is more aggressive so you lose some low end in exchange for the top end. My 1500 really comes alive at 3k but off idle seems like a lopey cam.
Actually...the power is really similar to stock off the bottom...with a noticeably better power curve on top. The 1600 will have better low end than the 1500 with the same cams.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Use the 1500 computer also and you'll gain rpm. As far as pistons do a search and you'll find some of speeds build threads I think he was pretty thorough in listing the components he used.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
$1100 kit
$800+ porting
$800+ labor

Calculations show only a small increase in hp with 5 more cui and increase from 9:1 to 10:1.

The real power is in the headflow. $300 and you can have a complete set of 1600cc heads already cleaned up. you just need to lap the valves. Sell your current heads for the same price and its a wash. That was my plan at least.
PM'd ya

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I'm thinking prtetty hard on this set up, very similar to a sport bike clutch set up. I spoke with one of the guys at Thunder, seems the 6 spring clutch is more effective at eliminating clutch slip then either the Judge washer or going to Barnet plates. Speed was running both on his bike last I knew to eliminate slip. I'm close to pulling the trigger, install is pretty simple, might replace the plates as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts