RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to enhance the performance on my 08, but want to keep the stock pipes. Is adding air and a mapping a waste of time if I don't change the exhaust?

Thanks,

kb

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Actually thats the best thing to do. Most aftermarket exhausts hurt performance unless you go with a quality 2-1 like the muzzy. The meanie also has one of the worst intake setups I've ever seen, very restrictive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so how do the aftermarket intakes handle rain? It looks like most have the filter element exposed to the elements. Does this clog them faster?

Which one is recommended? Yes Im new at this type of thing. Do these improvements kill the mpg fuel economy?

BTW, I have an 08 1600 SE.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Actually thats the best thing to do. Most aftermarket exhausts hurt performance unless you go with a quality 2-1 like the muzzy.
Well, I wouldn't underestimate the 2-1. You definitely get an improvement with them, e.g. the v&h propipe that I have.

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rain won't hurt it
Yeah it will probably get dirty faster, not a big deal to clean them
It won't hurt your mileage per se, unless of course you start twistin the throttle more cause it's faster now.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do these improvements kill the mpg fuel economy?
I have the big three on mine and routinely get 43 - 44 mpg with a lot of highway riding at 75 - 80 mph.

Jon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'm sold. I took my wife's 1100 Vstar out for a ride, and found that it has MORE get up.and go than my 1600. Ugh.

So where do I start? How do I know which map I need? Where do I get it? How do I get it into the bike?

Thank you

Kb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts