RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Best place to buy a helmet?

25K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  RexSnr 
#1 ·
Where do you think is the best place to buy a helmet? For the past 3-4 years I have been riding, I have always kept my helmet with my bike (attached and at the foot peg). Unfortunately last night, my helmet disappeared when I went to class.

I paid 100 dollars for the helmet, and it was a piece of crap. I think the local stores are TOO over priced, online I'm sure I can find one but with shipping it will be on avg 20 dollars more. Where would you suggest to buy a helmet?

#3 ·
WOW! Great site, great prices. I bought my RF-1000 for $308 a couple years ago, and thought that was a great deal. These are in the $285 range and free shipping. As stated, always go to your local store to try on the sizes, then go online.

#4 ·
i don't like to order wearable stuff from the 'net, cuz, as has been mentioned, i can't try before i buy.

i am finding that the gap between internet prices and dealer prices is narrowing considerably on lots of stuff.

somehow it doesn't seem right to me to try on a helmet at your local dealer then order it off the 'net. jmo fwiw, if .02.

#8 ·
...somehow it doesn't seem right to me to try on a helmet at your local dealer then order it off the 'net...
I thought the same thing when I was looking for a new helmet last year. Then, after I walked around the bike shop looking at helmets for 20 minutes and not one employee gave me the time of day or asked if they could help, I found one I liked and sized it, went home and ordered from NewEnough.

They make no effort, they make no money...

That's my .02

#6 ·
NewEnough has a good selection of HJC and Scorpion helmets, some even under $100 in the closeout. They're good helmets besides their price. I saw one of my first helmets on their the other day, an HJC I payed around $170 a couple years ago was going for $79. You could still find those in dealerships to try them on.

#11 ·
I bought my first KBC Racer-1 (their top of the line when I bought it) from a local dealer, then I picked up some additional ones at 80% off retail. Then I contacted KBC and scored several replacement shields for the cost of shipping. I don't like to wear the same helmet every day, plus the liners need time to dry out when washed.

#14 ·
If there is a Cycle Gear store near you, they have a (I think) 7 day return policy on helmets. If you buy one and wear it for awhile and decide it isnt for you, you can return it no problems. Our local Cycle Gear has been very helpful.

My first helmet I ordered online, a Scorpion Exo-400. Despite all the sizing charts in the world, it was uncomfortably tight. I walked into Cycle Gear and started putting on lids, as soon as a properly sized RF1000 hit my head, I knew I was sold. Walked out of the store with a new RF1000 for me and one on order for my fiance.

#15 ·
If ordering online, NewEnough.com is excellent and their returns are hassle-free.

If buying locally, check for older/discontinued models on sale/closeout.

#18 ·
#19 ·
WTF? 2008 models 10% off MSRP? Doesn't sound like a place wanting to move some helmets.

#20 ·
#29 · (Edited)
Where do you think is the best place to buy a helmet? For the past 3-4 years I have been riding, I have always kept my helmet with my bike (attached and at the foot peg). Unfortunately last night, my helmet disappeared when I went to class.
Speed Test
I paid 100 dollars for the helmet, and it was a piece of crap. I think the local stores are TOO over priced, online I'm sure I can find one but with shipping it will be on avg 20 dollars more. Where would you suggest to buy a helmet?
i am finding that the gap between internet prices and dealer prices is narrowing considerably on lots of stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.