RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've looked at a couple of threads and I can't seem to find one where you guys rate the 650 exhausts you bought. Give us new buyers some advice on a nice sounding exhaust that won't break your pocket please.

I have a 2016 650R that I'm trying to get into Ninja Matrix status (might be showing age with the Matrix reference, but hope you'll know what I mean).

Thanks,
Rubber

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have a Two Bros M2 VALE on my 2011 650R, gives the bike a deep throaty sound with the baffle out. Might be too loud for some people's tastes. I'd say the loudest pipes you can get on these bikes are going to be from M4 or Two Brothers. Avoid the Carbon Fiber cans from Two Bros though, stick with the aluminum or titanium canister.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Since you said "for the money', the stock exhaust wins hands down. :)

The Ninja isn't known for it's sweet exhaust note. The ones I have had the displeasure to be riding behind sounded like Kawasaki Lawn mowers. Operators of Kawasaki engine lawn mowers wear ear muffs when operating them because even they don't like the sound. ;)

That SP Tadao Power Box Exhaust sure does look sweet though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I need some help in understand the allure of aftermarket exhausts. This isn't meant to be condescending, just legitimately looking to find the reasons why people go for these.

Me, personally, the less attention I attract the better.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
I need some help in understand the allure of aftermarket exhausts. This isn't meant to be condescending, just legitimately looking to find the reasons why people go for these.

Me, personally, the less attention I attract the better.
People ride bikes or buy sport cars or jacked up 4x4s for many different reasons. The ones that make them louder when HP gain is negligible usually do it to attract attention. It is kind of like the male peacock prancing around in all his glory to attract a mate. Bikes, Sport Cars, and jacked up 4x4s attract the type of female more willing to mate than wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Auto part Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Muffler Vehicle

Hi

Last month a installed a Leo Vince full system that I got used at a good price. I'm pretty impressed with the sound, more deep, little bit louder than the stock exhaust even with the DB killer installed. Since I'm from Quebec Canada, we have laws against loud exhaust so I had no choice but to put a DB Killer. Also I gain a little bit more power and torque to the bike, I can really complain about that. Overall I would recommend to make the switch especially if you have a good price for an exhaust like i did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for a bit of HP boost as well as a nice low rumble. We buy sportbikes because they have killer looks and we want a killer sound to go with it. I don't want a loud wake the neighborhood up roar. But a nice throaty rumble is cool. To me at least. And that SP Tadao Power Box does look nice! I don't know how it sounds but it looks killer. Will it break my bank? I'm a little skeptical when buying used, because you're always taking a chance. I have bought used before but I was always crossing my fingers. I'd appreciate Timpo telling me more about his Tadao. Thanks
Rubber

·
Registered
118 Posts
My bike came with a Muzzy muffler. Is a bit loud for my tastes but I'm too cheap to buy a stock muffler. I did repack it with some ceramic cloth rather than fiberglass but the sound remained the same. That SP muffler looks killer though. I wonder if it would work on an '07 but I'd have to hear it first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, from what I'm reading they don't make slip-ons for 2012 or later 650R's. Only full exhaust systems and that probably puts you a thousand plus dollars out of pocket. Not good news for me 'cause I have a 2016. I wanted to spend $300 to $500 at most. Doesn't look like I'll get a better sound on this one. If someone has any other options I'm willing to hear, it'd be great. Bummer/Downer man (I'm in California now) :dunno:

·
Registered
159 Posts
My bike came with a Muzzy muffler. Is a bit loud for my tastes but I'm too cheap to buy a stock muffler. I did repack it with some ceramic cloth rather than fiberglass but the sound remained the same. That SP muffler looks killer though. I wonder if it would work on an '07 but I'd have to hear it first.
I have a stock unit from an 06 that only has about 3600 miles on it. Ill trade you for the muzzy if youre interested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm looking for HP man. I don't think an app thru my smart phone is gonna help me go faster. As for the exhaust trade, I'll stay with my stock 2016. I still haven't taken it in to the stealership for the 600 mi robbery. I have 402 mi on it. I was looking for a slip on exhaust but I read they only make full exhaust systems for the 2012 on models. No slip ons. Don't have money for full exhaust. Now I'm looking for a rear seat cowling. Replaces the rear seat with a plastic mold. Clean look. Saw one on ebay but was $90. I can't see paying almost a hunnert for a piece of plastic molding. I'm asking around if I can use another bikes cowl on the 650R. The ZX6 cowling only costs $22 bucks. Anyone know if you can use another model cowl on the 650R?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Give us new buyers some advice on a nice sounding exhaust that won't break your pocket please.
I bought a Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust because it's the only one that doesn't require you to open the exhaust and re-pack it from time to time. All of the other exhausts will have maintenance costs associated with them (unless you're cheap and never bother doing it). If you don't re-pack the exhaust, it will get louder and I think the pitch of the sound changes.

I was looking for a slip on exhaust but I read they only make full exhaust systems for the 2012 on models. No slip ons. Don't have money for full exhaust.
The Ninja 650 before 2012 had issues where the exhaust system would break. They fixed it by making it a full exhaust system starting in 2012. We can still use a pre-2012 header and put a slip-on on it if we don't want to go for a full exhaust.

Now I'm looking for a rear seat cowling. Replaces the rear seat with a plastic mold. Clean look. Saw one on ebay but was $90. I can't see paying almost a hunnert for a piece of plastic molding. I'm asking around if I can use another bikes cowl on the 650R. The ZX6 cowling only costs $22 bucks. Anyone know if you can use another model cowl on the 650R?
I have a rear seat cowl. I love the extra storage space, the look, as well as the feel of planting my butt against it when I tuck behind my windscreen. However, now that I'm a commuter that rides his motorcycle daily, I had to get a tail bag (I didn't want saddlebags, and I'm not ready yet to drill into my bike's plastics to install a top case). I had to slap the stock rear seat back on so that I can put on a tail bag. Also, having a seat cowl means that you can't use a bungee cord to carry cargo at the last minute, or to offer a ride to a fellow rider who downed his motorcycle, or to a girl you're trying to pick up... For these reasons, you may want to re-think getting a rear seat cowl.

The cowl is beautiful, but impractical. At group rides the female riders check out my bike, and the male riders talk to each other asking what kind of Ninja my motorcycle is. lol I'm more about function over form now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply SoCaliTrojan... but I'm not into carrying passengers. If my buddy goes down, I'll pull over and wait for the tow with him. Even a fine girl will have to meet me there. I want that seat cowl. I'm going to pursue like a man on the hunt. Can you tell me how much you paid for yours? Do you want to get rid of yours? My bike is a 2016 Matte Black... if not, is there another bike's cowl I can use? Sometimes another models will fit our Ninja 650's. Thanks
Rubber

·
Registered
2 Posts
People ride bikes or buy sport cars or jacked up 4x4s for many different reasons. The ones that make them louder when HP gain is negligible usually do it to attract attention. It is kind of like the male peacock prancing around in all his glory to attract a mate. Bikes, Sport Cars, and jacked up 4x4s attract the type of female more willing to mate than wait.
And what about a females bike that emits the same dB of sound... Can I be a peacock?? Cuz I wanna be a peacock...

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
And what about a females bike that emits the same dB of sound... Can I be a peacock?? Cuz I wanna be a peacock...
Absolutely! If you are wanting to attract a male's attention, just riding a bike attracts male rider's attention. The noise alerts them that there is a bike in the area, then seeing a female riding sends most guys into high alert. It is pretty much known that a female riding a motorcycle automatically jumps up on the attractiveness scale for most male riders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely! If you are wanting to attract a male's attention, just riding a bike attracts male rider's attention. The noise alerts them that there is a bike in the area, then seeing a female riding sends most guys into high alert. It is pretty much known that a female riding a motorcycle automatically jumps up on the attractiveness scale for most male riders.
I absolutely know this to be 1000% factual. What's even better is when you can outride most of said dudes 😏😌. I'm like, the most peacocky peacock of them all. 🦚. Winning 🤭😜😂

1 - 20 of 21 Posts