RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
This is one of those personal preference questions. No scientific test results to prove one oil is the best. How much $ do you have to spend is really the question. You can get Valvolene 4 cycle motorcycle oil at advance auto. You can buy motorcycle specific synthetic oils. You can get K&N oil filters, purolator, hi-flo etc. Everyone has their favorite.

Kawasaki would say it is their oil and filter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
There is no one answer, there a loads of good oils & filters out there. As previously stated, it depends on how much you want to spend, your change frequency, riding habits, etc.

I personally use Castrol GTX 10W-40 and Purlator PL14610 in all my bikes. And the same oil in all my cars. I change bike's O & F every 3K miles. Cars when the comp says 10% left.

There is an immense amount of oil info out there. Do some legwork and make a decision based on what you find out.

Jon

·
Registered
975 Posts
Oil is over rated. I use a proprietary mixture of saline solution, honey, NOS Energy Drink, and seafoam. :glassesti

..i'm kidding of course.. :laugh:

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Oil is over rated. I use a proprietary mixture of saline solution, honey, NOS Energy Drink, and seafoam. :glassesti

..i'm kidding of course.. :laugh:
A friend told me a story that he read on a sport bike forum where a kid put NOS energy drink in his bike. :killingme I guess they make an NOS fuel treatment too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just to echo what's been said, it's personal preference. I go Amsoil and Purolator filter, but that's just me. I've heard good things about.. well, haven't heard bad things about anything really. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
So....the dealer tells me that motorcycles require motorcycle specific oil, due to something to do with the transmission. I'm not 100% sure what I was told, because it was quite a few years ago, and I've just kept it in mind ever since, but I was told that car oil doesn't do "something" for the gears, that motorcycle oil does.........any insights? If this is BS, I'd change oil....currently I use Spectra Gold synthetic blend from the dealer.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I use Amsoil Full Synthetic MC oil .. I think it is the best to use and they have studies on their site that compare different MC oils

But I am biased :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
So....the dealer tells me that motorcycles require motorcycle specific oil, due to something to do with the transmission. I'm not 100% sure what I was told, because it was quite a few years ago, and I've just kept it in mind ever since, but I was told that car oil doesn't do "something" for the gears, that motorcycle oil does.........any insights? If this is BS, I'd change oil....currently I use Spectra Gold synthetic blend from the dealer.
From what I've read, standard automobile oils have 'friction modifiers' that basically make the oil more slippery. Those friction modifiers can supposedly cause clutch slippage if used on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
724 Posts
From what I've read, standard automobile oils have 'friction modifiers' that basically make the oil more slippery. Those friction modifiers can supposedly cause clutch slippage if used on a motorcycle.
Need to avoid the "Energy Conserving" types. The Castrol GTX 10W-40 I use is non Energy Conserving while their 10W-30 is.

Need to check the label.

Jon

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yep. Duh statement coming up here, but remember that your engine oil also makes the transmission work. Using such oil, or those "long life" oils, wouldn't be a very good thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have heard great things about the Amsoil and I am considering changing from the Kawasaki to that.

For the filter I looks like everyone is using the Purlator PL14610 so I am going to probably change to that filter.

·
Registered
975 Posts
what is the best oil to use in mean streak and oil filter
I dont know what model you have, but keep in mind there was a recall on certain 1500 meanies due to issues with them blowing out the standard screw on oil filters, and they were given a different filter setup. Its a separate filter housing and filter element unit with an adapter required. If your bike has that on there, you will not be able to screw on a regular filter without removing the recall adapter. ..and if you do, you could end up with oil all over your leg due to the filter blowing out.

·
Banned
1,884 Posts
The Castrol GTX 10W-40 I use is non Energy Conserving while their 10W-30 is.

Need to check the label. Jon
The 10w-40 isn't "Energy Conserving" because only XXw-30 or lighter can be "Energy Conserving" by definition. Being a -40 makes it non-energy conserving regardless of friction modifiers being or not being part of the additives.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If you have a black and chrome Mean Streak you MUST buy Chrome K&N Oil Filters. Nothing works as well on those bikes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The 10w-40 isn't "Energy Conserving" because only XXw-30 or lighter can be "Energy Conserving" by definition. Being a -40 makes it non-energy conserving regardless of friction modifiers being or not being part of the additives.
Didn't know that, just knew about Castrol's lineup.

Jon

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is one of those personal preference questions. No scientific test results to prove one oil is the best. How much $ do you have to spend is really the question. You can get Valvolene 4 cycle motorcycle oil at advance auto. You can buy motorcycle specific synthetic oils. You can get K&N oil filters, purolator, hi-flo etc. Everyone has their favorite.

Kawasaki would say it is their oil and filter.
twowheeladdict, I have read a lot of your posts and for the most part I think you are pretty on track with your comments, however I must break with you on this one. There most definitly are tests to prove one oil is better than another. It is funny because I just listed my "amsoil pitch" in the for sale section today. But I encourage you to check out the site and look at the ways they have compared top leading oils. www.amsoil.com

Here is one:

The Four-Ball Wear Test evaluates the protection provided by engine oil under conditions of pressure and sliding motion. The size of the scar left as a result of the test determines the amount of wear protection the lubricant provides. The smaller the wear scar, the better the protection. Tests show that AMSOIL 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil has better antiwear performance than all other oils tested. With AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil, engine life can be extended and major repairs are often reduced.

Amsoil is definitly what I would recommend along with folks who have turning wrenches for years.

A short answer to the original question would be AMSOIL 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
twowheeladdict, I have read a lot of your posts and for the most part I think you are pretty on track with your comments, however I must break with you on this one. There most definitly are tests to prove one oil is better than another. It is funny because I just listed my "amsoil pitch" in the for sale section today. But I encourage you to check out the site and look at the ways they have compared top leading oils. www.amsoil.com

Here is one:

The Four-Ball Wear Test evaluates the protection provided by engine oil under conditions of pressure and sliding motion. The size of the scar left as a result of the test determines the amount of wear protection the lubricant provides. The smaller the wear scar, the better the protection. Tests show that AMSOIL 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil has better antiwear performance than all other oils tested. With AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil, engine life can be extended and major repairs are often reduced.

Amsoil is definitly what I would recommend along with folks who have turning wrenches for years.

A short answer to the original question would be AMSOIL 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
Thanks for the info, but I stand by what I said. A manufacturer showing that their product is better than others is not very scientific. It is called Marketing. That is why you have independent labs out there like consumer reports and insurance institute. I am sure AMSOIL is a good product, but so is Mobil synthetic for motorcycles, and rotella syn, etc, etc.

Reactions: johnborsellino

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Motorcycle specific Oil? Yeah, yeah, I know they market it! Just follow the guidelines for acceptable oil specs in the service manual.

I run 10-40 Castrol part synthetic with a Mobil 108 filter. Works great.

Much better than Dino Oil!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
If you have a black and chrome Mean Streak you MUST buy Chrome K&N Oil Filters. Nothing works as well on those bikes.
Huh, I was told I had to use the black filter cartridge to obtain stealth capability, the chrome is intended for show boating.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.