RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
this is the lowest price i've hear of for new. keep in mind, does that include prep (up to $800), tax, license fees? that could easily add another $1000 or more.

resale value? without any hard data i'd say it probably sucks. new models of our favorite little sport standard sit dusty on many showroom floors waiting for buyers and prompting low prices like the one you speak of. but that can't help those of us who want to sell used ones.

scott :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah, I'll be biting the bullet big time if I try and trade my ZR in. The only good knews is that I stop by my local shop once a week to talk with the sales staff. Use a little of that 'friend' sales psychology on the salesman when it comes time to beat me up on the trade in value.

Kepp your friends close and salesman closer!

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
There's a bunch of brand spanin' new -7S's at Berts Motorcycle Mega Mall here outside of LA (Covina) for $4499! They have a -7 for a little bit under that too.

I bought mine in July (a dealer '00 model -7dealer demo with 285 miles on it) for $3950 out the door. Traded in a crappy looking and beat up 92 Yamaha Seca II that covered all th licenses, dealer prep, etc. I think the trade in value was $800, which is only a few hundred (MAYBE) lower than what I could have gotten for it if I'd sold it myself. In other words, I got a smokin' deal. Oh, PLUS, when I bought it, since the bike had sat for a while, they did a complete fuel system service (cleaned out carbs, lines, jets, synched the carbs, etc). So, I ACTUALLY GOT some value out of their $450-some dollar "dealer prep" which usually amounts to no more than them polishing up your bike before handing you the keys.

Point is, these things aren't exactly flying out the door, so you can really bargain. I've seen the same bikes in the dealer and advertised in the local Cycle Trader for months now. You can wheel and deal!

Emrah

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
they do a bit more than polish, they also mount the bars ;)

seriously, my sales guy told me it takes them about 2 to 3 hours to prep a bike from crate to showroom floor. he told me this because i was asking him why his shop only charge $200 for prep when everyone else charged $800. this is where they make their money. this way they can make you happy by coming down $400 on the purchase price and still screw you and get the money they wanted to start with.

emrah, you did get a deal!

KawMan, bein' friendly with the dealer goes far.

scott

·
Registered
418 Posts
Trade In Value ?

I just got mine Friday for $4999 (sticker). It has 5600 miles on it
because some greenhorn felt he needed more power (the ZR-7
was his first) and traded it in for a ZR-1. It was cheaper than the 01 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (on sale for $6789) I was looking at
and the 01 Triupmh Srint RS (on sale for $7689).

I was able to get $600 for my wrecked 82 Yahama SECA 750 (my first bike) so I was pretty pleased.

scottaraujo is right though after all the s**t. I paid $6018 to get
OTD. I got the 4 year extended warranty thrown in too for half
price so KawMan is also right . . being friendly with your local
dealer pays of. :eek:

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
When I talked to my Kawasaki dealer yesterday, he said that they sold about 15 2001 ZR-7S.

Andy

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I bought my '01 S in June for 6200 out the door. That included tax, prep, delivery (I didn't have my M-class permit yet) and HJC CL-12 helmet. List for the bike was 5999. Thought I did pretty good at the time but I guess not. Oh well, only another year and a half of payments.

kelly

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I would assume June is summer for you guys and now is winter ?

That being the case you probably paid a fair summer price.

A dealer here in Melbourne told me in summer they sell 30 bikes a week and in winter 30 a month. They definitely are more negotiable in winter coz if you walk out the door they might not see another punter all day....

:)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I got mine for $6500 out the door in September 2001.

You know everything here in the Bay Area is expensive. The price you pay is relative to the location where you live. My local Kawasaki shop has a higher overhead than most.

However the wages are very good here so it all balances out.

Andy

·
Registered
988 Posts
Got mine for $Aus9,000 on the road from a dealer in Geelong. 2001 model built in Dec 2000.

Emailed 3 dealers for a quote and he was the only one to reply.

Think it had been sitting on the floor for 4 or 5 months and he wanted to shift it out of the way.

BTW, Mike (tito) if there are only 60 or so sold in Oz per year, then the five of us must make the highest zr-7.com member to bike population ratio around !?

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Scott if you include your cousins 2 courier bikes we make up 10% of the population :D.

I gave the dealer $6500 cash (usd 3250) plus a crashed/repaired 90000km ZZR600 for mine in Aug 2000. It was a "new" 99 plated with 1000km on it......I think a few people demo'd it before I bought it.

:)

ps : Toyrun tommorrow Sunday

·
Registered
988 Posts
S**t - forgot about the toy run. Have to do it next year. Got to go to do something else.

Do our mates in the US have something similar? Did we steal the idea from them?

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
We have Toy Runs and we also "Oh S**t" occasionally too. :laugh: There's a BIG Toy Run down here that starts in San Diego and goes to Tijuana. Last years turn out was suppose to be 1000 bikes and turned out to be 1100. (This year is suppose to be bigger). The way it works is you take an unwrapped toy to the start place and they load it on a truck with all the other toys and they give you a ticket. Then everyone goes on the "Run" which winds around and about to TJ. While your're riding, the truck takes the toys to a warehouse in TJ and unloads. When you get to TJ, there's a HUGE area that's just for bikes and riders, you go there and park and party and have a good time. The kids come up and ask you for a ticket. You give the kids the tickets, they get to go to the warehouse and pick out a toy.

The cops down there have everything well under control as far as traffic and security. Anyone even thinks about getting out of line and it's off to jail, and for the rowdy ones, it's a good thrashing then off to jail.

But there are also other runs that benefit other toy drives. The USMC has a big "Toys for Tots" drive and there's several runs through out the state that coincide with that. Usually the receiving organizations are in place and a riding organization will put together the run.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts