RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Hi-def orange or yellow shield? Are they good in full sun? overcast? night? what is the selling point on them? Why are they "desirable"?

Just bought a bell star... what a fantastic helmet... I swear you can feel it venting when your just walking in it! :)

Thanks for the info! Kez

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the smoked online but I'm interested in the orange or yellow "Hi-Def"... anyone with any experience with these? what are they like in day, night, cloudy? Thanks

BTW CreatureCore... holy crap! I can't believe how easy it is to change the Shield!! :)

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Yeah, by far the easiest to change of all the helmets I have owned. I think BigSexyZ has the orange shield. You may want to send him a pm if he doesnt chime in on this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Blacksheep, couldn't find BigSexyZ on the members list... :( Has anyone else used the Hi-Def star shields??

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hey guys, I've saw the thread earlier, just had to jet out the door. Good memory, Sheep. Although I only have the clear and the Dark Gold Iridium. Sorry Kez.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I haven't had orange or yellow shields, but I did have a pair of yellow sunglasses for about 5 minutes. I HATED them during the day, but not so bad driving at night as they cut the glare. If someone gave me a yellow shield I might use it every once in a while, but I'm more of a confirmed dark smoke during the day, clear when it's dark rider.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I bought my Shoei RF 800 I got a clear, smoked, and red shield. I took the smoked one back because I love the red. I find changing and carrying shields to be a pain. Same thing for ski dooing and snowboarding but red helps even more in snow

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use an orange shield on cloudy/rainy days. Makes everything brighter.

I don't use it during a sunny day as it tends to make things REALLY bright.
I don't use it at night because it makes headlights and streetlights the same color.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been using highdef orange or yellow for years. I prefer yellow as it doesn't affect visibility of stoplights as much (orange/amber seemed to prevent yellow lights at intersections from 'popping' as much) or darken things at night.

The reason I like the high def is simply because of the reduction in glare, it puts way less strain on my eyes as mentioned above very much like a ski goggle or shooting glasses would and seems to make things crisper for me. I pop my sunglasses underneath if its sunny, and call it a day with no other visors to worry about.

·
Registered
171 Posts
One thing i noticed with the yellow is riding into the evening hours. When I finally stop and remove the helmet, it is darker than I thought. The yellow does allow more crisper light through which, in my opinion, allows for better evening and night time riding. As far as the daytime stuff, i usually had sunglsses on anyway so i could raise the visor to get some air

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Bell Qualifier. Love the helmet. I wear transition RX riding glasses. Shields UV stops my glasses from changing dark. I think I'm going to go with Yellow for night and Dark Smoke for day. Visor is up most city driving for more air. I'll see how that works for now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you love the Bell Qualifier you'll love the new Bell Star. The self darkening shield is really good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the Star quieter than the Qualifier. I really need to find something that gives my ears a break. I hate earplugs but it's a must on highway.
I second this. I have a Qualifier, but it is prohibitively loud on the highway. You have to wear earplugs. Is the Star any better?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts