RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want a more positive clutch install a 1500 Mean Streak spring and Judges' Washers. On a 1600 that's a spring upgrade and a more positive clutch because Judges' Washers defeat the back torque limiter and you still have a two finger clutch.

Installing the Barnett Heavy Duty spring gives you a four finger clutch you have to pull twice as far because the first half of the pull is now wasted by component flex. It also pretty much defeats the back torque limiter because the heavier spring overwhelms the stock back torque limiter springs.

1600s got the clutch spring downgraded to the "all other Vulcans" clutch spring. The 1500 Mean Streaks have the stiffest stock spring. You can also make the clutch more "positive" by swapping some of your steel plates for thicker ones. That gives a thicker clutch pack, more spring pressure and less back torque limiting. The shop manual explains this but not very clearly. The back torque limiter is what gives the clutch it's "soft" feel and keeps the tire hooked up. .
Thanks for the info skeptic...

I was wondering if this upgrade of spring etc would eliminate the horrible grinding i get shifting from 1st to second gear on the 07 meanstreak i just bought..... or is that something more serious?

Appreciate your input.
Cheers

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was wondering if this upgrade of spring etc would eliminate the horrible grinding i get shifting from 1st to second gear..... or is that something more serious?
Normally there is no "grinding from 1st to second gear". The 1st to 2nd shift does require a little more lever travel than the other shifts. You can have lever/linkage adjustment issues. It's easy to get the lever in an inconvenient position that doesn't work well with your ankles' range of motion. Or you can have stuff that's loose and sloppy. Or, worst case, you have a bent shift fork (or two) and/or rounded gear dogs. Worst case because if that's the problem you're splitting the engine cases.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts