RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a wild hair and replaced the clutch spring with a Barnett spring. Clutch now engages just off the grip and has a much improved positive solid feeling, pull on lever increased but it's not to bad. Was going to do the judges washer but they were $25 plus shipping which isn't bad but I found the Barnett on Ebay for $17 shipped, also replaced gasket. I like the upgrade, had to move my sons 2007 Classic 1500 back into the shed after I replaced mine and wow what a difference, his clutch feels like mine used to, soft and releasing way to far out. Easy install. barnett clutch 1.jpg bartnett clutch 2.jpg barnett clutch (3).jpg barnett clutch 4.jpg barnett clutch 5.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice. One of the things I liked about the Victory bikes I rode was the positive clutch engagement. How long did the job take?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. One of the things I liked about the Victory bikes I rode was the positive clutch engagement. How long did the job take?
Maybe 31/2 hours but I also was fixing some bolt issues in the hot hotbox, they came out hard so I replaced them and cleaned up the threads. It's a pretty easy job only thing to watch out for is reinstalling limit washers, they like to move so use axle grease to hold them in place, I got that advice from our one and only Speedracer, he is a great guy and knows more about these bikes than anyone on this forum.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
At Speed's suggestion I went ahead and put a Barnett in my clutch also when I had it apart. Thought about Judge's washers, but from what I read you lose the slipper clutch completely and I wasn't sure I wanted to go that far. The Barnett does grab nicely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are any special tools needed?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Just normal hand tools, except that an impact wrench is recommended.

Clutch Spring Replacement

Oh, yes, it does mention maybe tapping the clutch cover with a soft mallet to loosen it. Working on my son's HD I had a very stuck cam cover and found that a dead-blow mallet works perfectly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Alright, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you want a more positive clutch install a 1500 Mean Streak spring and Judges' Washers. On a 1600 that's a spring upgrade and a more positive clutch because Judges' Washers defeat the back torque limiter and you still have a two finger clutch.

Installing the Barnett Heavy Duty spring gives you a four finger clutch you have to pull twice as far because the first half of the pull is now wasted by component flex. It also pretty much defeats the back torque limiter because the heavier spring overwhelms the stock back torque limiter springs.

1600s got the clutch spring downgraded to the "all other Vulcans" clutch spring. The 1500 Mean Streaks have the stiffest stock spring. You can also make the clutch more "positive" by swapping some of your steel plates for thicker ones. That gives a thicker clutch pack, more spring pressure and less back torque limiting. The shop manual explains this but not very clearly. The back torque limiter is what gives the clutch it's "soft" feel and keeps the tire hooked up.

Just FWIW. I've removed Barnett HD springs (and installed 1500 MS springs and adjusted the clutch pack) for riders who installed the Barnett HD spring and didn't like the resulting lever pull.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want a more positive clutch install a 1500 Mean Streak spring and Judges' Washers. On a 1600 that's a spring upgrade and a more positive clutch because Judges' Washers defeat the back torque limiter and you still have a two finger clutch.

Installing the Barnett Heavy Duty spring gives you a four finger clutch you have to pull twice as far because the first half of the pull is now wasted by component flex. It also pretty much defeats the back torque limiter because the heavier spring overwhelms the stock back torque limiter springs.

1600s got the clutch spring downgraded to the "all other Vulcans" clutch spring. The 1500 Mean Streaks have the stiffest stock spring. You can also make the clutch more "positive" by swapping some of your steel plates for thicker ones. That gives a thicker clutch pack, more spring pressure and less back torque limiting. The shop manual explains this but not very clearly. The back torque limiter is what gives the clutch it's "soft" feel and keeps the tire hooked up.

Just FWIW. I've removed Barnett HD springs (and installed 1500 MS springs and adjusted the clutch pack) for riders who installed the Barnett HD spring and didn't like the resulting lever pull.
Kinda funny but I've always hated the feel of my clutch and that's why I went with the Barnett instead of judges washers plus a great price. Love it now and the extra pull rate is fine with me I have no issues with it sitting at a light or just going down road.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do you have the part number for the 1500 clutch spring?

·
Registered
31 Posts
From what i read Barnett Clutch plates were much better than the Factory one's. No more clutch slipping . I purchased a new Gasket & the Barnett clutch coming from California on Ebay. Sure hope i can get by without the springs and use my factory one's. I might half to get the Dealer to do the job because i don't have an (impack) . Nothing one can do can be any worst than the clutch now. The previous owner of the bike was only putting 400 miles of riding a year on the bike. ''Sticky Plate's'' sickness was what i was told the bike has. And rocking it side to side helped but seems as if i have to do it all the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
this is for my 05 Kawasaki Meanstreak that i have coing on the way. Confused ,.....what else do i need. Clutch spring which one . 1600 Gasket.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys, great thread and good info.

I'm wanting to change out the clutch pack (leaving the stock 1600 meanstreak clutch spring/diaphragm --- what are the best clutch packs out there for this bike? Carbon fiber any good?

The main reason is the previous owner didn't do ask that much riding and let the bike sit for long periods of time and gear change from 1st to 2nd is very grinding/ crunching...

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I wouldnt go that far. Barnett plates are fine, but switch to a barnett spring or stock meanstreak 1500 spring and you should be fine

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rather than pay out $260.00 to $350.00 as one estimate from a shop. I now have saved myself a ton of dollars by taking on the job myself. Plus while waiting on exhaust gaskets i figured i would clean up a few parts & areas that are hard to reach once complete. A rainey week and that should give me time to clean up my exhaust pipes. Clutch in.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldnt go that far. Barnett plates are fine, but switch to a barnett spring or stock meanstreak 1500 spring and you should be fine
Yeah, but if i have "sticky clutch plate" syndrome as described in previous post with bike that only did 400 miles a year.... wouldn't it make better sense to replace the clutch plates a week as the spring and judge washer?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts