RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning a customer of mine noticed my helmet next to my desk. She asked me if it was mine & if I rode. I told her yes I do and the bike is just outside the side door. She took one look and proclaimed "OOoh, it's a crotch rocket!??" with a slight derisive tone in her voice, as though she thought I wouldn't or shouldn't ride one. It was the same kind of comment I usually get from some Harley riders. You know the tone.
While we had fun with it I have to ask you folks, "Do you think Bandit qualify as crotch rockets?" I always thought the rockets were the high powered superbike types.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Bandit is closer to being a crotch rocket than it is to being a cruiser, but it's officially a "standard" motorcycle. The few crotch rockets that I've sat on over the years have all felt much more cramped and were just uncomfortable compared to the Bandit's more relaxed riding stance. More comfort and less joint fatigue means I'll enjoy my longer ride a lot more. In my book the Bandit is just a great all around bike.
Cheers!
Tom

·
Administrator
2,684 Posts
It's more of a Sports/touring bike, like the Ninja 650.

IMO - a crotch rocket is more like a fully fledged supersport bike like the GSXR, H2 and so on.

Most people who use the term 'crotch rocket' don't know what they are talking about, so they use it as a derogatory term for bikes that don't appeal to them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I keep my motorcycle addiction to myself............. I do consider it an addiction.......and never touch the subject with family/friends/coworkers. They are not into "it"............and even from the ones who are into 'it' because they own one, and say something .....I behave completely aloof.....and change the subject..............unless the subject is 'mature' and technical in nature....like mechanical troubles. then I get interested and respond to it being automobile or motorcycle.

................even from people who try to be nice and have a cliché comment as; 'nice bike'... I respond with another nice; 'thanks', and move on or change the subject. I KNOW THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE.

·
Administrator
2,684 Posts
...........and even from the ones who are into 'it' because they own one
Well, for me there is a difference. Most people are into 'it' for a short period of time, just so they can say: "Yeah, I used to ride, blah, blah."

Just like guys saying: "Yeah, I used to train."

I don't personally know anyone who has been riding as long as I have - they all just fade away after a while. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm on motorcycle forums. I like to discuss motorcycles.

·
Registered
1997 Yamaha Seca II
8 Posts
I've been riding quite a few years also. Sometimes the non-riders would call my bike a crotch rocket, usually in a derogatory form implying it's not a HD, yeah no doubt. Some of the HD riders would also do that sometimes, somewhat jokingly, but their comments were more in jest than anything else. As a lot of them I've talked with rode other brands before buying HD.
I've also ran into the "used to ride" ones too, sometimes it was because they dropped their big huge cruiser and it scared them or they heard someone say them 'cycles are dangerous or someone they know got hurt/killed or they got married and was told to sell it. One of my co-workers sold his HD 'cause of his MIL telling him too, plus she got them into a tight financial times, and his new wife didn't like him riding it in the first place. Etc...
But it's all good, ride what you want and enjoy it.

·
Administrator
2,684 Posts
One of my co-workers sold his HD 'cause of his MIL telling him too, plus she got them into a tight financial times, and his new wife didn't like him riding it in the first place.
Many years ago my ex (who was a control freak) demanded that I sell my bike. "You're married now! You've got responsibilities!" Blah, Blah, Blah.

In the heat of the moment I said "I was riding bikes before I met you, and I will be riding them long after you have gone."

How prophetically true that turned out to be...lol.

·
American Legion Rider
58 Posts
Many years ago my ex (who was a control freak) demanded that I sell my bike. "You're married now! You've got responsibilities!" Blah, Blah, Blah.

In the heat of the moment I said "I was riding bikes before I met you, and I will be riding them long after you have gone."

How prophetically true that turned out to be...lol.
Hope you didn't have to live with it very long. I'm on number 2 myself although for slightly different reasons. My job require a lot of travel and although I had plenty of opportunities I stayed true to our marriage. Let's just say I shouldn't have. I'd have been happier for it. Probably still be on number 2 but who knows. Just glad I have a great number 2 now.

·
American Legion Rider
58 Posts
That about as bad as me. 14 years and 7 child support even though it was all her fault. It's court bias in favor of women in California. I was glad to be rid of the whore so never fought it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts