RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2006 650R about two weeks ago and love it. It is a very unique looking bike and I get compliments on the styling (which is all stock besides a Scorpion exhaust) all the time; I love the way it rides, sounds, and looks...

...except for the banana seat, which I am not particularly a fan of. I looked up some mods to switch up the look of it, and all I could really find was a rear seat cowling (which I'm not a huge fan of) and the Catalyst racing tail, which I think looks BADA$$ once painted up and installed. Could anyone tell me:

a) How much work it was to fit a seat (from a zx-6R or something of the like), install the taillight and wiring, and paint up the Catalyst racing tail?

b) Any other mods to switch up the look of the banana seat? I heard someone suggest fitting an entire tail section from a ZX-6r but that sounds veeeeeeeeeerrrrryyyyy iffy...

Thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated!! :alcy:

--Jamie

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just bought a 2006 650R about two weeks ago and love it. It is a very unique looking bike and I get compliments on the styling (which is all stock besides a Scorpion exhaust) all the time; I love the way it rides, sounds, and looks...

...except for the banana seat, which I am not particularly a fan of. I looked up some mods to switch up the look of it, and all I could really find was a rear seat cowling (which I'm not a huge fan of) and the Catalyst racing tail, which I think looks BADA$$ once painted up and installed. Could anyone tell me:

a) How much work it was to fit a seat (from a zx-6R or something of the like), install the taillight and wiring, and paint up the Catalyst racing tail?

b) Any other mods to switch up the look of the banana seat? I heard someone suggest fitting an entire tail section from a ZX-6r but that sounds veeeeeeeeeerrrrryyyyy iffy...

Thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated!! :alcy:

--Jamie
To install the catalyst tail is pretty easy as it bolts on. Youll need the undertail as well for the street.

The seat is a bit more tricky. Its designed to use a race mousepad style seat. I found them horribly uncomfortable for street use, so I made my own seat. Here's my how-to guide:
http://riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=51195

Installing a zx6 tail is not really an option unless you want to do some major fab work.

You could also get an OEM seat cowl, they look quite nice. I had one and sold it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks a lot for the reply cefoskey. Your 650RR conversion is freaking awesome, definitely sparks some ideas for modding mine :alcy:

Though the catalyst tail looks badass as hell, I'll probably end up going for the OEM cowl due to money right now but maybe sometime in the future...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wow, thanks a lot for the reply cefoskey. Your 650RR conversion is freaking awesome, definitely sparks some ideas for modding mine :alcy:

Though the catalyst tail looks badass as hell, I'll probably end up going for the OEM cowl due to money right now but maybe sometime in the future...
Youll probably be plenty happy with just the cowl unless you are planning on going all out with race fairings and clipons.

The cowl definitely looks 1000% better than stock

·
Registered
521 Posts
stock seat is lame along with stock screen. Only alternate IMO is cowl or catalyst tail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Get a cowl of tail pack. I opted for the latter and I can haul around rain gear, insulated liners, shoes, lunch, tools, etc, etc.

Then again mine is set up for ST more than "ricky racer" so YMMV. Still get plenty of looks and "nice bike!" wherever I go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts