RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 03 z1k with some miles on it a week or two ago and am in the process of going over it and bringing it back up to par. I think the previous owner wasn't exactly a maintennance guru. It's at about 32k miles, and the detailed maintennance booklet trailed off at 28k, when the dude bought it from the original owner.

I've replaced the chain and rear sprocket, and am doing the front one this weekend when I'll have access to air tools. I noticed the new chain I put on appears to have some engine oil on it (I use clear chain wax since the chain is a pretty gold one) and was wondering if anyone's seen this type of oil leak and has any tips. I'm going to look closer when the sprocket's off, and was thinking it would be a countershaft seal or something, but I don't see one on the parts diagram. There are plugs and a different seal nearby (still under the front sprocket cover) so I figure it's somewhere in there.

I also noticed the bottom two bolts on the sprocket cover had oil seeped into the threads as well, so that, in addition to the oil on the chain leads me to believe there is a seeper somewhere under that sprocket cover.

any ideas? will post what I find Friday. :dunno:

·
Registered
426 Posts
It may just be built up gunk and road grime on the inside of the sprocket cover. When I changed my front sprocket I had a ton of that stuff in in there.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It may just be built up gunk and road grime on the inside of the sprocket cover. When I changed my front sprocket I had a ton of that stuff in in there.
+1, I think I had about 2 lbs of gunk in there

·
Registered
213 Posts
that's what happened to me.when fresh chain lube disolved some of that gunk it looked like motor oil leak.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. It's seeping out the splines on the front sprocket. Nothing I'm gonna fix, guess I'll just keep an eye on the oil level for now.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Nope. It's seeping out the splines on the front sprocket. Nothing I'm gonna fix, guess I'll just keep an eye on the oil level for now.
well that sux

keep an eye on it and see what comes of it.

Where there any shavings anywhere?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, no shavings or anything. I can't tell from the diagrams if there is a seal on that shaft or not. It doesn't look like there is, but how can there not be? I think I might try some of that Bars Leaks for oil seals or some oil additive of some kind. It really doesn't use that much, so I'm not too concerned.

No better place for an oil leak than on the chain, eh?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Be careful using any kind of oil additive, they can cause clutch slippage. Better to just keep an eye on it for now and look at what it takes to fix in case it's relatively easy.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
No, no shavings or anything. I can't tell from the diagrams if there is a seal on that shaft or not. It doesn't look like there is, but how can there not be? I think I might try some of that Bars Leaks for oil seals or some oil additive of some kind. It really doesn't use that much, so I'm not too concerned.

No better place for an oil leak than on the chain, eh?
I took a look at the diagrams on Babbittsonline.com and it looks to me like the oil seal you're talking about is part # 92049-1474.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts